Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Brake on 6mm-284?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM

Brake on 6mm-284?

I am building a 6mm-284. Gun will weigh in around 12 lbs with scope. 7 twist, 28" barrel. Not sure on what I'll be loading for it but will be a deer hunting rifle, not varmit rifle. Should I put a muzzle brake on it?
Thanks
Brian
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Brake on 6mm-284?

If you are worried about reducing recoil you don't need a brake. I have two 6mm-284s. The lightest one is 7 lb and has very mild recoil.

I have read here and elsewhere that a brake could allow you to see your hit through the scope. I can't say for sure if it would work with your rifle. I do know it will increase the noise level so you will need hearing protection when shooting your deer!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
....I do know it will increase the noise level so you will need hearing protection when shooting your deer!

If you want to increase your chances of spotting your own shots, yes put a brake on it. My 6-284 wears a brake & I don't regret it at all heck, even my 6mmAI wears a brake.

AZshooter, every rifle report regardless of brake is above PEL & does cause damage, hearing protection should be worn at all times. I'm not trying to be your mommy but I did want to ensure you were aware of that hazard.

Here's Mine: NOTE: It now wears an NXS in place of the VX-3

Brake on 6mm-284?-6-284-pics-3-.jpg

t

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

Location: I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6 deer a year.

Well at 12lb I am thinking this is not a carry gun, and that is a good thing if you are going to put a brake on it because as mentioned by AZshooter it can be hard on ears. I can tell you from experiences that it does help spot your shot at long range. I have a 22-250 A.I that has a brake for just that reason and it lets me see where I am hitting, but it also means that when I shoot it I get set up and put on the muffs. I had a thread protector made at the same time as I had the brake put on so I can take it off if I am going to carry this gun and not want to have to walk around with muffs on. If you remove the brake your point of impact can change so be sure you check and don't assume you can just switch back and forth without taking this into consideration.

Having said all this you may find that at 12 lbs you do not even need a brake to be able to spot your shot, I would wait and see. My 22-250 A.I. is not that heavy it was built on standard REM 788 and I could hold it on with lighter bullets but with 80gr bullets it was just frustrating to try and see snow fly when shooting at something way out there, with the brake on it the gun just sits there and stays right on target.

P.S> if you put a brake on it be considerate when you take it to a range with other shooters around.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Outlaw6.0,

I like your rifle!

I realize that all firearms are loud and can cause hearing damage. I think we all have fired a deer rifle without hearing protection on some of our hunts. We got away with it to some extent. Sure everytime you expose yourself to loud noises there is a cumulative effect. BUT brakes are so much louder that one unprotected shot will have your ears ringing for hours if not days afterwards. The the uninformed shooter is in for a big surprise if he didn't know. That is why I mentioned it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Outlaw6.0,

I like your rifle!

I realize that all firearms are loud and can cause hearing damage. I think we all have fired a deer rifle without hearing protection on some of our hunts. We got away with it to some extent. Sure everytime you expose yourself to loud noises there is a cumulative effect. BUT brakes are so much louder that one unprotected shot will have your ears ringing for hours if not days afterwards. The the uninformed shooter is in for a big surprise if he didn't know. That is why I mentioned it.

Thank you for the kind words.

I understand you point of view & you're not wrong at all (my tinnitus say so ). I figured at 12 pounds (right about where mine is), there were more pros to having a brake than there were cons. If this was a 7lb woods type rifle, I would not be recommending a brake. But for the OP's setup which is almost an ambush setup for long range work, the Brake is definitely on my Yes list. The OP might also consider a threaded cap to basically provide the best of both worlds. (+1 to whoever said that first).

t