Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Brainstorm Please Frnt Rest Ext

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Brainstorm Please Frnt Rest Ext

Hello all!

Explaining what I want help with is easy. Explaining why I want it is a little more complicated. I'll try to stick with the "what" for now.

I'm looking for a way to create a longer version of the part indicated below. Perhaps as long as 12 inches maybe as little as 6 inches. The very short version of "why" is that I need to create a relatively large elevation change quickly. I try not to reinvent the wheel and this rest accomplishes what I want... just not enough of it.

Any ideas? I don't know if plastic is machinable, but if it is I might be able to stay with the existing rest as a base. If wood or metal is the answer then I will have to have two matching "adjusters" to go with the extension.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer

Matt
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Brainstorm Please Frnt Rest Ext-caldwell-frnt-rest-lable.jpg  

Old 07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brainstorm Please Frnt Rest Ext

By the time you extend that post 12", you might as well be using a bipod or a Stoney Point tripod with or without the Tag Along.

If you need to use that particular rest, then set it on top of something such as 2x4's, sand bags, or feed sacks.

If you have a lathe, you could possibly pull the top rest off of the spindle and thread an extender to sit on top and then stick the rest back on the extender.

In any case, there's no room to go down 12".

-- richard
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

The platform I'm using will have a hole to accomodate the unused length. I've used sand bags and such to do as you suggested but I need a much thinner profile.

Thanks...keep m coming
Matt

Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Your local smith or machine shop should be able to make a large bolt like that. Aluminum would be easy to work with and lighter, but won't withstand a heavy duty cycle like stainless would.

Because it's not your standard 60 deg thread, they may need to grind a tool bit to cut what almost appears to be square threads. But, that's no big deal.

I have a lathe, but not a mill here at the house. You'll need a mill or something to cut the channel for the locking screw. ...assuming that's really required. You could possibly engineer an alternate locking mechanism that won't booger your threads.

Also, one can only speculate about the top of the bolt that the rest affixes to unless you disassemble it and show pictures or a blueprint.

-- richard
Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Make yourself a couple of 12x12x6" (LxWxH) bricks from plexiglass. Fill them with "great stuff" foam or something similar.

Drill holes to accomodate the legs so that it will drop in securely.

You can use dowels to join the two bricks together when you need the extra elevation all the way to 12" or greater.

You'll want your brick's to be in the 12" LxW so you get maximum stability but you could go smaller if need be.

This should make for a very light, very stable quick shooting platform.

You could make it even lighter by just using 1.5" thick foam insulation and stack them to the desired height and then shrink Wrap the whole thing.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Another option is to replace the bolt with a smooth shaft that's just smaller than the minor diameter of the threads and has holes drilled horizontally through the diameter of the shaft about every 1/2" or so. Then, use a pin to hold the elevation.

You could drill and tap a larger jam bolt to help stabilize it.

-- richard
Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

How about sticking a heavy duty camera tripod under the bench and have the pedestal protrude up through the bench? Then, you can just crank it to the final height and lock it in place.

Of course, you'd need an adapter for the rest on top of the pedestal.

-- richard