Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Boyds stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Boyds stock

Another question, how large in diameter do the holes for the pillar have to be?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Boyds stock

Ok, no offense intended but you do need to do some reading and research here and on www.6mmbr.com to get started.

I have pillar and devcon bedded a few Boyds stocks and several of other makers. I have been the most pleased with pillars from Richard's Custom Rifles. Richard seems to be retiring faster and faster these days so I don't know where the next set will come from. I personally really despise seeing the end of the pillar on the bottom of the stock, Richard makes a escutcheon to whatever size you need for your stock and it gives things a nice finished look.

The key is setup your stock with either a piloted counter-bore bit or a Forstner bit in a drill press. Spend whatever time it takes to know that you are drilling perpendicular to the action.

Holes in the stock need to be big enough to allow plenty of bedding material to lock them into the stock. whatever size your pillars are go maybe 3/16 bigger than that.

Do plenty of reading, and decide if your up to it. If you go for it yourself then take your time. All the work is in setup and getting things right from the beginning.