Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Boyds Ross thumbhole stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Boyds Ross thumbhole stock

I have a 223 Remington with the plastic varmint stock that I am not fond of. I have been looking at the Boyds stock with the thumbhole,it looks pretty nice but I have not handled one. Has anyone had on or shot one before, whats the finish like?
I mostly shoot paper with a few coyotes and crows when I can. I'm just getting started in the long range game so going to use what i have for now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Boyds Ross thumbhole stock

I've had a few and for the most part liked them. The ones I have/had did require some final finishing for both fit and finish but were a good place to start.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Did you glass bed yours? I did a search on here it seems people like them OK but nothing to special.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

I've got one, no complaints. I would definitely pillar bed it for best accuracy. Also, make sure you are ordering the one with the vented forend that is made for heavy barrels. The sporter one has a very narrow forend and won't accomodate heavy barrels.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Yes I bedded them along with adding pillars. On the one I'm still using, I tried just using the bedding material (devcon) as sort of a pillar bedding as well. So far so good so I think it might have actually worked. I also refinished the stocks and for the most part once done, are a good solid stock that looks nice. There are certainly better ones out there, but for the money, I think they're fine.......
Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM

The varmint stock setup for a heavy barrel is the one I want. Is the finish not smooth? I could sand it and refinish with automotive clear coat. How heavy are these stocks and do they balance well?
thanks for the help
Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

The finish was pretty good on the two I have. I put one on a 204 Savage and one on a Savage muzzleloader.

If you want a little more shine you can use some automotive polishing compound followed by a good wax and it will make it pretty slick. Not like auto clear, but still pretty darn good.

Here is my 204, it now wears a better scope and these pics were pre-polishing. Next up is Duracoat for the action and bead blasting the barrel late summer sometime.

I pillar and Devcon bedded mine and it has held up extremely well.