Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I understand your thought, but its the one that I may have a niche for. For a "pure" LRH rifle a lot of folks prefer more than the 6.5's. The overall 6.5 market that includes semi-auto (me) and short action rifles with twist rates that won't support more. It might be better described as a "medium" range bullet on this site, but in the overall market may be the most successful of them all. If the shelves are still empty when Nosler ships these could be the best received bullets of all time. LOL!
Ya know, the Swift Scirocco II is the same length (actually .007 longer) as the Nosler LR AB. From the pics of the AB, it looks like it has a longer boat tail and a shorter nose than the Scirocco. My guess is the Scirrocco has a slightly higher BC which Litz lists as .491 G1 and .257 G7. I wonder how Nosler came up with .561 and .287? In any case, the Nosler kool-aid drinkers will believe what can't be true and buy them up.

I think if I was in the market for a plastic tipped cup and core I would go with the 140 AMax and if you have a 9 twist barrel it'll work for you.

I have a box of the Scirocco's I would be willing to part with for a reasonable price

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

One thing I'm sure of is that if you are shooting Nosler bullets you are paying way too much for bullets.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

How do you figure? I paid $26 for 50 .308 200gr Accubonds and a box of 100 215 hybrids cost $52...?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

While the 130 6.5 ALR may not be what they're cracked up to be, owning 300 of the 210 grain 30 cals I'm sure they will be on par with the 208 Amax (time and experience will tell). Still well below their published BC but I don't see it as kool-aid, I see it as a big step in the right direction. Who can argue with a bullet of this shape with a bonded core? Whether or not they work as advertised, it's a step in the right direction for us as long range hunters. At the very least the main stream bullet makers are recognizing our needs and putting some effort into delivering what we want/need. Imagine if they introduced a 140 grain 6.5mm ALR shaped like a 140 Amax or VLD. Would we be arguing about this? Sure they may be inflated BCs or maybe they just don't have access to a Doppler radar system and don't know any better but it's still a step in the right direction. I'd rather shoot an elk with a 130 grain 6.5 ALR bullet than a 140 grain Amax or VLD. 140 ALR would be even better.

If we are comparing pictures and not holding them in hand, better yet shooting them, then it is speculative at best as to whether or not they have a bc on par with the swift or the VLD.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Who can argue with a bullet of this shape with a bonded core? Whether or not they work as advertised, it's a step in the right direction for us as long range hunters. At the very least the main stream bullet makers are recognizing our needs and putting some effort into delivering what we want/need.
+1

The concept is long overdue. It should be developed.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
I'll speculate a little bit. First is I'm confident the bc's are over promised , second is they will not perform well at 1300 fps and will not open much at that speed , third is that they are bonded core bullets and the accuracy lot to lot will vary a lot. Fourth is that they will get away with their marketing bs and sell a bunch of bullets. Fith is that BOTW will tell you they are shooting whatever they get paid to say they are shooting and they will actually shoot what works and you will never know.

+1 Well done that man

I have always been skeptical of the advertised BCs, quite a bit better than Berger as others have stated.

Everything in the media/ TV is able to be manipulated anyway the producers want.

Most customers rely heavily on the manufactures advertised BCs, the bigger the better.

I can remember not that long ago that most of Lapuas BCs were wound down.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

I hear and realize benefits of bonding cores to jackets. But I have never seen bonded to be as consistent in grouping at long range. The benefit of BC is something we start to realize at distances past 800 and even more so at 1200+. So do we feel these bonded bullets will be able to hold the accuracy we need to be proficient at these distances? If not then I really care less about the BC they are labeled with. I also have a concern that at the extended distances and slowed impact velocities, they may or may not expand as well as a non-bonded bullet.

Am I alone in these concerns? I am in favor of the performance gains to be had at closer distances from a bonded bullet. But these are labeled as "Long Range" I seek a bullet that works best at the longest pokes where I need it to preform it's best. Closer shots are of less concern to me.

I'm just reading and thinking. Food for thought if you will. I will be watching for some reports on these. BC = less drift and drop, period. I want as much as I can get. But I demand consistency and wonder about giving up a highly expandable bullet if my point of impact is not perfect.

Jeff