Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter42 View Post
I can't agree more, not sure where all the hatred comes from, but nosler AB 's have worked great for me in the past, and I'm sure the ablr we prove to be another great bullet, able to do what it was designed to do.
I wouldn't call it hatred, especially not for the bullets themselves. Let's call it great disappointment with the management for lack of honesty. How does that old saying go? ... as good as your word...

IMO, Nosler has basically copied the AMax idea. Nothing new here other than the ALR's have filled a couple holes the Amax's have left.

FWIW, Nosler E-Tips are my favorite short to mid range bullet on any game.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Honestly I'm torn. Because I do see the value. I have used them on a couple different rifles. Everything is a trade off. I just see myself as a 1000 yard or less shooter and with that, I don't feel I need 300 grain 338 bullets to do what I need to do. The 210 class bullets at 300WM velocities are pretty well balanced between wind, energy, and recoil. I have just totally revamped my 6.5x284 to duplicate my 300. Same stock, scope, rings, barrel contours etc..when I close my eyes and handle each one, I can't tell them apart. I'll use the 6.5 for practice/hunting deer sized game and the 300 for the big stuff. Seems like a good idea anyway.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler-image.jpg  
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
As far as accuracy, I have only shot a few. So far they show good potential. This is as far as I'm going to divulge any results. There is already so much hatred for them here I just don't feel like getting burned at the stake.
Michael, I understand that you don't want people ragging on you one way or another based on your results, but I, along with many others I'm sure, would LOVE to hear what you are finding. I think the more information we get out there on these bullets, the more we can all learn. Based on what you have said so far, it is obvious that you don't think they hold up to the published BC's, but I would really love to hear what you are thinking they are at. It sounds like you have enough knowledge on this to make a pretty good educated guess at what the true BC is...so let's have it!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I don't mind offering a semi educated guess. I am of the opinion that they will be between .65 and .67 based on 300 mag to 300 ultra mag velocities. I think they will be very close to the 208 Amax. The only 2 things that might hold it back from matching tha Amax is it's nose profile and longer overall length. I think though that the aggressive boat tail may offset this to a degree. It's hard to say and maybe it's wishful thinking but I don't think .65+ is out of the question. If they were .63 or less I'd be shocked. Like Mark pointed out, the 208's BC was .664 based on Bryan's calculations at 3000'sec. I'd like to think the ALR would be at least .65 based on the same tests. .63 would make me happy. .65 would make me ecstatic. .67 would be a dream come true. Still a far cry from published but a HUGE increase from what we have had in a bonded 'hunting' bullet to date. The 208 is hands down one of my favorite 30 cal bullets. Its accurate, consistent, has a great BC and opens very well on game. even at lower velocities. However, they're downright scary when used on mature bull moose. By scary I mean it's ugly. Kills are anything but clean. They just dissapear on heavy bone. intead of fracturing a vertebrae I'd like to penetrate it. I suppose broadside lung shots are ok but it's hard to get those shots when they live in such thick tall brush. You're left with neck/high shoulder shots. It's not pretty. I don't know that the ALR will be that much better but I'm interested in trying. IF it holds up better and has a 208 class BC with accuracy acceptable for LR hunting, it'll definitely be a bullet I'd use for the bigger game I hunt.

The 1 big plus I have seen is they're weight to weight from bullet to bullet is very consistent. As consistent as the bergers and amaxs I have. The overall length is also pretty consistent but using a comparator, the base to ogive/bearing surface is very consistent.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

There has been no hatred on this bullet at all, a lot of us are just wanting at least some data from bullets that have been shot prior to them being proclaimed the greatest bullet of all time. Real data and performance is always good!! The love fest prior to actual bullet launching is what gets under peoples skin.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
there has been no hatred on this bullet at all, a lot of us are just wanting at least some data from bullets that have been shot prior to them being proclaimed the greatest bullet of all time. Real data and performance is always good!! The love fest prior to actual bullet launching is what gets under peoples skin.
dead on bigngreen i like nosler bullet's i have shot them for years until last year i let bigbuck talk me in to sierra match kings i did not like there performance this winter so i would like to see how they do myself.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Honestly I'm torn. Because I do see the value. I have used them on a couple different rifles. Everything is a trade off. I just see myself as a 1000 yard or less shooter and with that, I don't feel I need 300 grain 338 bullets to do what I need to do. The 210 class bullets at 300WM velocities are pretty well balanced between wind, energy, and recoil. I have just totally revamped my 6.5x284 to duplicate my 300. Same stock, scope, rings, barrel contours etc..when I close my eyes and handle each one, I can't tell them apart. I'll use the 6.5 for practice/hunting deer sized game and the 300 for the big stuff. Seems like a good idea anyway.
Yup, that is a great idea. Great looking rifles BTW and I love the straight 16X.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen