Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter42 View Post
I have heard a longer bullet will have a higher bc than a shorter one, well I have two 140gnbullets of very similar design with stated manufacture bcs of 535 and 509, one bullet measures 1.307 and the other is 1.396. Guess which one has the higher bc? Thats right the shorter one.
Actually bullet length in and of itself has nothing to do with making a better BC. Longer noses and to some degree longer boat tails yes but raw length actually hurts the BC. Equal nose profiles, meplats and boat tails, yet one bullet is made out of copper and the other jacketed lead and weigh the same. Guess which one is longer. You guessed it. The copper one. Which one has a higher BC? The jacketed lead bullet. Why? Because there is less surface area to drag.

Long bullets have a reputation for having high BCs because longer bullets usually have long sleek noses, sleek boat tails and are on the heavy side. Raw length does BCs no favors.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Oops!! Double post
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter42 View Post
Well I would like to thank cohunter14 for having my back when the misunderstood had to run off at the mouth. I chimed in on this post because someone copied and pasted a face book conversation between myself and John porter specifically talking about my wifes 6.5 wsm and different bullet choices including the new 129 ablr. I can understand all the differing opinions about inflated BC 's and such and everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's cool! But I noticed something interesting as I was working on my wifes 6.5 that is directly contrary to several posts on here. I have heard a longer bullet will have a higher bc than a shorter one, well I have two 140gnbullets of very similar design with stated manufacture bcs of 535 and 509, one bullet measures 1.307 and the other is 1.396. Guess which one has the higher bc? Thats right the shorter one. And as for the comments from daveinjax well I seriously doubt mr porter cares one way or the other if you respect him or not, I do know that his has probably forgotten more about longrange shooting than you or I will ever know, and it is very possible to measure group size with the retical of the Huskemaw scope, actually its easy, I have used it to measure the rack width of the last 2 mule deer bucks I killed. I was posting the information I was getting on these new Bullets with the purpose of helping to inform those who were interested in a new product for our sport, not to have people call me a liar, so if anyone is interested in how these new bullets perform on bears and African game over the next month just pm me and I will let ya all know what I know! Thanks and sorry its so long a post, Jay.
Please keep posting anything you hear on these bullets Jay, that is the only real way any of us will ever find out the truth about these bullets. We need more people out there shooting them!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

You bet cohunter14, and Michael eichele,I understand all that about bullet design and shape, bearing surface and length of boattail,I was just responding to a couple of earlier post. Just trying to make a point, im not a liar nor am I a bull chitter I was just passing along info as I got it!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popapi View Post
LRMAX????????? Is this a Hornady bullet????
This is a Hornady 7mm, unknown grain. Using the 7 mag.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Me too! Out of the goodness of my heart, as well....I'll take all of those "old, junky, outdated" Berger 210 VLD's and 7mm 168's and 180's....

I'm glad someone else doesn't live their life by what the television says is the best of everything.
I SAW SOME 30 CAL. 210 VLD`s AND 2 BOX`S 7mm 168`s 4 BOX`s 180`s VLD`s SPORTSMAN`s WAREHOUSE CHATT. TENN. LAST NIGHT
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popapi View Post
LRMAX????????? Is this a Hornady bullet????
Yes, Hornady is making the LR-Max bullet.