Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Ya know, the Swift Scirocco II is the same length (actually .007 longer) as the Nosler LR AB. From the pics of the AB, it looks like it has a longer boat tail and a shorter nose than the Scirocco. My guess is the Scirrocco has a slightly higher BC which Litz lists as .491 G1 and .257 G7. I wonder how Nosler came up with .561 and .287? In any case, the Nosler kool-aid drinkers will believe what can't be true and buy them up.

I think if I was in the market for a plastic tipped cup and core I would go with the 140 AMax and if you have a 9 twist barrel it'll work for you.

I have a box of the Scirocco's I would be willing to part with for a reasonable price
My rifle isn't here yet. All pieces present and awaiting assembly. As it's a short action (Winchester Model 100) The Scirroco, AB, and A-max won't be first choice. Plan is to use the 123 A-Max as this will be more a predator rifle than anything. It is time to start putting together a few components, and the first choice isn't currently in stock anywhere I have looked. It will have the 1-9" twist so the stabilizing won't be a problem, and who knows an Antelope or Whitetail may end up on the menu. A trial of the various bullets will be a part of the process, so yeah if you have some Scirroco's burning a hole in your pocket let me know what you need to have for them. Partial boxes OK, maybe better for just trying a few.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

i have shot noslers for years the plastic tips shoot great under.5 in my 7mag but i already had a good load in the partition and have hunted with it for years i have bought some silver tips to try my cousin shoots them they shoot good and have performed great for him i did not like the performance of the sierra match kings i tryed this year i suppose we will have to wait and see how these ALR perform keep shooting guys ABOUT TIME TO TAKE BIG BUCK LONG RANGE SHOOTING 1000+
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm... never seen BOTW let alone knew there was a marriage and divorce. Seems to me it's a big deal about bullets you can't even buy. Should be a year or two before there's a decent cross section of hunters reporting back on performance.

Wake me when there's something to talk about.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
My rifle isn't here yet. All pieces present and awaiting assembly. As it's a short action (Winchester Model 100) The Scirroco, AB, and A-max won't be first choice. Plan is to use the 123 A-Max as this will be more a predator rifle than anything. It is time to start putting together a few components, and the first choice isn't currently in stock anywhere I have looked. It will have the 1-9" twist so the stabilizing won't be a problem, and who knows an Antelope or Whitetail may end up on the menu. A trial of the various bullets will be a part of the process, so yeah if you have some Scirroco's burning a hole in your pocket let me know what you need to have for them. Partial boxes OK, maybe better for just trying a few.
You're about 2 days too late sold them to another member in the Reloading Components FS forum.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You're about 2 days too late sold them to another member in the Reloading Components FS forum.
Thanks anyway, I work 12's and didn't have much time the last few.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I hear and realize benefits of bonding cores to jackets. But I have never seen bonded to be as consistent in grouping at long range. The benefit of BC is something we start to realize at distances past 800 and even more so at 1200+. So do we feel these bonded bullets will be able to hold the accuracy we need to be proficient at these distances? If not then I really care less about the BC they are labeled with. I also have a concern that at the extended distances and slowed impact velocities, they may or may not expand as well as a non-bonded bullet.

Am I alone in these concerns? I am in favor of the performance gains to be had at closer distances from a bonded bullet. But these are labeled as "Long Range" I seek a bullet that works best at the longest pokes where I need it to preform it's best. Closer shots are of less concern to me.

I'm just reading and thinking. Food for thought if you will. I will be watching for some reports on these. BC = less drift and drop, period. I want as much as I can get. But I demand consistency and wonder about giving up a highly expandable bullet if my point of impact is not perfect.

Jeff
Jeff, do you remember "goodgrouper"? He did a lot of work with the older Accubond and they worked amazingly well for him. This link is about a 1300 yards shot with a 225 gr. Accubond in 338.
Bull elk @1302 yards....

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

All I know is, that I'll keep shooting Bergers AND Accubonds, regardless of what some stupid host on a TV show shoots, and then tells you what you should shoot, b/c it will allow Ray Charles to make 1,000 yard drop-shots on a wooley mammoth. I know what works...So I'll stick with that.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.