Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I think that Nosler is digging themselves into a hole myself. They are claiming things such as Really high BC and really low expansion velocity. They are jumping into the longrange realm of shooting/hunting (really for the first time) and claiming this stuff. If all of what they are hyping up isn't true then they are just going to look stupid. If its all true (I highly doubt it) then they are going to expand their customer numbers by quite a bit.

To tell you the truth, I would almost believe that they did this because their "normal" 100-600 yard customers were moving to other bullets. So they made this "New LR accubond", hyped up the BC and min expansion velocity to bring the larger pool of mid range shooters back to the accubond.

Even if the BC and other stuff they hyped up turns out not to be true, it will still draw a crowd because:

1. The bullet "looks" cooler than the old accubond.
2. Tons of hunters out there believe what they see on BoTW and think its gospel.
3. Good advertising works no matter what the product is. (Look at Obama for example)
I love it! ESPECIALLY the political part
Old 04-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I love it! ESPECIALLY the political part
Haha..yea, I should probably take that out but it was just a small jab!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Haha..yea, I should probably take that out but it was just a small jab!
Naaaaaaaah! leave it there! Len will take it out if he wants to......Rich
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

I for one am pretty happy they came out with the higher bc accubond. If it is not the bc they proclaim that is not a huge concern to me. They will most defiantly be better than the current AB in the bc department, and I have used the original 250 AB to kill a bull at 1202 yards. Recovered bullet weight 165 grains and expanded nicely.

I see midway had the 308 lr ab come in and sell out in hours. Please don't buy them, so I get a chance :-)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

I am waiting with everyone else to see how things shake out. I would not be happy at all if I bought 200 or more bullets of the same lot to test in my rig only to later find out that they lied and the BC is overstated. In my mind that would be reason enough for Nosler to have to buy them back from me. (Not to mention wasted time, powder, primers, brass, barrel etc) The BC directly correlates to how I expect them to perform to correctly reach the target. If they don't give a true figure then I would rather shoot a product with correct values that I can count on.
It will reflect poorly on Nosler if they have incorrect data.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Here's how it occurs to me with the new LRAB

Advertised BC is computer generated not tested and verified, so it is going to be optimistic. This leaves the shooter to figure out what the BC really is in order to get reliable trajectory wind drift values.

Bullet quality: When I look at LR bullets, there are certain things that have to come into consideration that have little effect out to say 500yrds. One of which is bullet to bullet consistency, weight, bearing length, Ojive, they all have to be pretty consistent if you want to have any chance at all to put that first round where you expect it to go. Berger (and customs) has spoiled us with bullets that weigh +-0.1gr bullet to bullet and for the most part lot to lot, bearing lengths are equally consistent. The new LRAB's will not meet that standard their held to +-0.5gr which also has a direct effect on bearing length. If your bullets have differing wieghts, and differing bearing lengths (effects barrel friction) how are you supposed to get your ES, SD down? like wise what do you do about the differing BC as a result of of the looser tolerances? I suppose you can go buy large orders and sort them, but why? Why buy 500 to come up with 100 that are the same?

Expansion vel: To me this is an absolute wash. For example I load up 160gr in my 7mag with a mv of say 3050. 1300fps is in the neighborhood of 1.5mi. while thats all neat and everything, it doesn't mean anything at all. Because (I'd put money on it) 99% of all accomplished LR shooters just can't read the conditions well enough to even begin to take advantage of that kind of range. And even if you could it's a pretty bad idea anyway as the flight time alone can turn a a good shot into an all day chase on a gut shot animal, just because it had time to take 2 leisurely steps.

These are just the things I was thinking about when Nosler announced the LRAB. Not meant to bash on Nosler, I use some Nosler bullets exclusively in some of my rifles. But rather trying to think of the end result first and break down the path in reverse.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I actually like a lot of the Nosler bullets and have used them for years. I'm not hung up on the fact that their advertised b.c. isn't going to be nearly as high as advertised. I think it is true that they use computer generated b.c.'s, this even happens with the dies I buy to make my bullets with. Here is what bothers me. Nosler is a big company and can afford to test actual b.c. I don't like the fact that we are DELIBERATELY being mislead! Most LR shooters are not fools and neither is Nosler. I just don't understand what they hope to gain (in the long run) when everyone sees that the b.c. is lower than Berger, for instance; and they will! I still think they will likely be a good, useful bullet. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the deliberate deception! I will have to eat a lot of crow if they are able to pull off some magic, but I think I am pretty safe. my 2 cents!........Rich