Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The "BOSS" why not more use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 AM

The "BOSS" why not more use?

Many moons ago I bought a Winchester stainless model 70 7mm with a "BOSS" factory installed. I have shoulder problems (artificial now) and was very sensitive to recoil but wanted to get a little above my 25-06. Several amazing results with this factory rifle. First I found the boss would dial in factory ammo to less than one minute of angle at 100 yds. It performed to 1/2 minute of angle with reloads. Recoil was very mild. I have killed over fifty animals at long range (200-600 yds,). Black bear, elk, and white tailed deer. I am yet to wound or lose an animal.

The boss is a major contributor to this in my opinion. It really works and is not a gimmick. I see very few if any on rifles in gun shops and in the field. Why don't more hunters use a boss to make their rifles far more accurate and reduce recoil?
Am I the only one with this experience?

Last edited by BLK; 11-05-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: forgot caliber
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The "BOSS" why not more use?

I'm sure that you are not the only one who has experienced an increase in accuracy. But there are far superior muzzle breaks out there now that reduce recoil much better. By this it is easier to then tune a hand load, and if one is going to use factory ammo, then it is a matter of finding the right factory ammo that shoots best out of ones rifle. My cousin owned an A-bolt with the Boss on it and from what he has said, he liked it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Glad it works well for you. I've seen a lot of them but never shot one and never heard much good or bad from those who owned them and used them. Personally just never cared for that hunk of steel hanging off the end of the barrel like a silencer. Most that use muzzle brakes complain about the excess noise and I guess a Boss is a brake in way.

The late great grumpy Col. Jeff Cooper however said that "the two greatest marketing hoaxes ever perpetrated on the American shooting public were the Boss system and 'fluting' barrels and bolts to make them stronger". I have always agreed with him totally on those two points...

NRA Life Member

Last edited by silvertip-co; 11-05-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Me and my dad both had 300 win mags A bolts with the Boss. I ended up trading mine in for a 300 wsm X bolt. The Boss was able to tune any factory load we put threw it below 3/4'' it is a great Gun he still swares by his. I traded because I liked the trigger 100 times better on the x bolt, I thought the clip added a nice touch and the safty open bolt feature. The new recoil pads on the browings x bolt are a wonder. the 300 wsm has some recoil. you wont notice it the kick, its more in the muzzle jump. Nothing bad.

I do wish they would put the boss on x bolts or at least muzzles brakes period that you can remove. I have one on my Christensen arms 30-378 weatherby mag and that kicks less than my dads 300 win mag with the BOSS. Christensens muzzle brakes take away about 40-50% where browing does about 30%

I do like shooting with out the noise of a brake, that the only down side.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

The BOSS system works. Increase is increased with almost every loading & noise isn't an issue if you use the replacement BOSS sleeve without holes when you hunt.

There are other ways to make a rifle accurate, but that generally means a lot more money than a Browning or Winchester with a BOSS.

The truth is most hunters don't need an extremely accurate rifle as most hunters never shoot over 150 yards at deer sized game. For these people, the BOSS is just wasted money that means carrying around something extra on their rifle. These people also are unlikely to shoot enough rounds to find the BOSS sweet-spot.

I'm one who appreciates anything that improves accuracy. To that end I have a rifle with a BOSS. (I've also got several that do not.) I also like the idea that I can shoot my practice rounds with the muzzle brake & hunt without the muzzle brake while still having the accuracy gains of the BOSS.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Well on the Boss even if it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen on a rifle and never would I consider one it does work. I have a couple of friends who have them and they do work for them have seen it adjusted and shot them myself. Have seen it with my own eyes---old Cooper should have quit before he got senile lol!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

A friend of mine bought a Win sporter 270 for his dad. Loaded 130 BT's straight out the Nosler manual, dial the Boss to the recommended setting and my first group measure .132 @ 100yds. I then sold my old Rem 700 7mag and bought a Laredo and shot at least 200 rds and could not hit the backside of a barn with it. Sent it back to Winchester and the barrel was bad and they refunded me full retail for the rifle. Went back to the Rem Sendero. Some shoot and some don't!!!!

Sendero72