Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Boone and Crockett Coues deer!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2001, 10:25 AM

Boone and Crockett Coues deer!!!!!

I was lucky enough to take this 129 1/8 gross, 122 3/8 net typical Boone and Crockett Coues Whitetail on the early October hunt here in Arizona.

I first found this buck while guiding Mule deer hunters 2 years ago, and have unsuccessfully hunted him since then, untill Friday! I had a client on this buck last season at less than 200 yards, but he was an older gentleman, the light was low and he couldn't make him out in the brush. I also had an archer miss a 45 yard shot at him last season, so I had a personal vendetta with him! As fate would have it, I was fortunate enough to draw the unit he lived in for my hunt. I don't get a chance to hunt for myself very often anymore, due to client obligations, so I was ready to put the total effort into this hunt and this deer.

I located the buck after about two hours of glassing, at a distance of over 1200 yards. He was in a position where I thought I could at least knock half that distance down, so I grabbed my 7X42 Leica Geovids, and my rifle and made my dash! Once I had reached my shooting spot, my Geovid gave me a range of 643 yards. I got into a prone position behind my David Miller Marksmen .300 Weatherby and found him in the 6.5X20 Leupold. I have added additional crosshairs in the scope which gives me aiming points at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards, so I placed the 600 yard stadia line at the top of his back. The wind was dead calm as I squeezed the trigger. The 168 Sierra Matchking entered and broke the on-side shoulder, broke the spine, and broke and exited the off-side shoulder! The exit hole was approximately the size of the lid to a coke can! I love it when a plan comes together!!!!!

Kirk Kelso
Pusch Ridge Outfitters
(Kirk, I have added the photo at your request---Len)

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]
Old 10-31-2001, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Boone and Crockett Coues deer!!!!!

Well done!

Not only a fine result on a great buck, its great to see a successful result after coming so close on other ocasions.

Fergus
Old 11-13-2001, 12:10 AM

Wow great buck congrats.
Old 12-08-2001, 05:08 PM

Now that's what I call a Coues' Deer!
Old 12-10-2001, 09:13 PM

Kirk,

I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with that buck. Good job!

What are the season dates for Coues in Arizona?

Bill