Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

bolt sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Re: bolt sticking

you can havea great shooting bullet and then have pressure problems by just adding .5 grain. Be very meticulous in how you weigh your powder. Fluorescent lights can even cause digital scales to read improperly. Each rifles max load is different than what the books say.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
is there any bolt markings on case head? Like the bolt turned but case didn't? Might have gotten some oil in chamber which can cause pressure problems as well.
i talked to my brother and he has a remington 770 .270 and he said that he had to sight in the scope and his rifle did the same thing but it took a couple more shots than my rifle did and about the bolt i have no idea currently im at school buy when i get to the house ill look at the bolt i do remember when i was cleaning the gun i took out the bolt and there was like brass shavings at the end of the bolt i did clean the brass shavings out ill try to post pics of what the bolt looks like
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM

also these are not reloads i havent reloaded any rounds but hoping to start maybe next year possibly
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
i talked to my brother and he has a remington 770 .270 and he said that he had to sight in the scope and his rifle did the same thing but it took a couple more shots than my rifle did and about the bolt i have no idea currently im at school buy when i get to the house ill look at the bolt i do remember when i was cleaning the gun i took out the bolt and there was like brass shavings at the end of the bolt i did clean the brass shavings out ill try to post pics of what the bolt looks like
You need to write that down and send it off to remington. The shavings mean the bolt face is improperly sized. What is happening is that with each shot you are getting a little more brass stuck in there which builds up and is forcing the case too deep into the chamber creating unsafe pressures.

Stop shooting it immediately until you have this problem corrected or you could seriously damage the action and barrel and risk hurting yourself as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You need to write that down and send it off to remington. The shavings mean the bolt face is improperly sized. What is happening is that with each shot you are getting a little more brass stuck in there which builds up and is forcing the case too deep into the chamber creating unsafe pressures.

Stop shooting it immediately until you have this problem corrected or you could seriously damage the action and barrel and risk hurting yourself as well.
so send this bolt to remington or is there any other way like a gun shop or something
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
so send this bolt to remington or is there any other way like a gun shop or something
You need to send in the whole rifle so they can inspect for damage and check the head spacing.

Seriously though I would not fire another shot out of it.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Heed WildRose's advice. Pressure is a bad ju-ju and a sticky bolt is usually a good sign it's getting up there. I would run it into my local gunsmith explain what's happening and have him evaluate the rifle. If it's something simple have him repair it. Anything beyond that send the rifle back to Rem.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein