Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

bolt sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM

bolt sticking

i recently went to go sight in my scope and after the first few shots it was easy to pull the bolt back but then i had trouble pulling the bolt back to where i had to struggle with the bolt to eject the round i have not had any problems what so ever on any other bolt action rifles that i know of also the rifle i have is a 7mm rem mag remington 700 any idea of what could be causing this to happen
Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

Re: bolt sticking

I think you should take the bolt out and give the action a good cleaning. Did you or the kid spill coffee or pop on the bolt by chance. Just a thought. maybe something got on it and just causing it to stick
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

If your shooting reloads I'd say to much pressure.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Rick is right this is usually a pressure problem.

Are you shooting reloads? New load for this rifle? New rifle?

If factory ammo what type?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM

this is a new rifle and i have cleaned the bolt before i shot and after i got home and if this helps the ammo that i was using was winchester 150 grain powerpoint 7mm rem mag
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

is there any bolt markings on case head? Like the bolt turned but case didn't? Might have gotten some oil in chamber which can cause pressure problems as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

So if I am reading this correctly you are saying that the rifle is fine for the first few shots then pressure seems to build and the bolt starts to stick?
I have a rifle that does exactly that. It took me a long time to figure it out. But what is happening with my rifle (also a remington 700) its fine for the first 3 or 4 shots then all the sudden my pressure starts to spike. My barrel actually fouls so horribly that its causing the pressure to spike very rapidly. If I take it home and clean it its good to go again for a few shots. The rifle shoots great but it does have that issue. I am actually going to run some final finish bore lapping bullets down it to see if I can reduce the fouling issue

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad