Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Blooded the 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Blooded the 338 Lapua

How about for your own satifaction, of being able to get everything right and make the kill ? sounds to me like anti longrange hunters.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
He explained himself quite well in post three!!!
I didn't read that post thorough enough or something. My apologies.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Since when do we feel the authority to come on a guys personal hunting report thread, pick it apart looking for something we don't agree with, or is different than "how we do it" or should I say "how we would do it, if we did do it" and then call him out by asking him all these "why" questions?

He hunted the way he wanted to, he was successful and knew his equipment well and made the shots and dispatched the game.

If you don't agree with something then please be polite enough to just not agree and say nothing. If you feel strongly enough about a method used then start your own thread and argue, debate and ridicule there.

For heavens sake guys, this is Long Range Hunting. I think some people really need to look into other places to complain. Or maybe look into golf or tennis.

JMHO!

To the OP, glad you had a successful hunt and the team effort of your equipment and your shooter skill worked well.

Congrats and good shooting.

Jeff
I have to say, you are right. My apologies to the OP. I may not agree completely with his way of thinking. But, I should not have been the way I was in this particular thread.

As far a golf and tennis go, pfft no thanks.

Last edited by JackinSD; 12-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrangebo View Post
How about for your own satifaction, of being able to get everything right and make the kill ? sounds to me like anti longrange hunters.
You couldn't be more wrong about the anti-long range hunter/hunting part. I enjoy it just as much as anyone. I am not sure where a few of you even got that thought. Obviously, I was not making myself very clear.

Last edited by JackinSD; 12-24-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

I asked a simple question which I didn't feel was inappropriate. If you post something you should be responsible for it. I didn't know we had to praise every post because we are here to stroke each other. I didn't say he was unethical, I didn't say he was irresponsible, I didn't say long range hunting is bad. All I did was ask why let a long range shot get longer? I don't get that mentality. In closing you made an amazing shot, your equipment is top tier, what an amazing show of skill and preperation. If that shot had been 498 vs the 528 or whatever it was it would have been an amateur shot and I completely understand why you let it get out further and yada yada stroke stroke... It seemed like nobody understood the question. I thought we where here to learn how to ethically take animals at long range when presented the situation not just see how far out we could shoot stuff. I have read many post about people moving closer some by Len himself, when he was in a shoot able range because he thought he could get closer. I'm not saying that is always what I do. There have been times when I probably could have moved closer but I felt confident in where I was so I didn't move. My only issue or question was why let it walk away to get farther away? To let it walk until it presented a better shot angle sure makes perfect sense. I'm really surprised that ths didn't bother more people. I guess we are here to just see how far away we can shoot stuff and not take the best most ethical shot presented
Old 12-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Actually, as stated in the forum rules "ethics" are not to be discussed. No, we are not here to "stroke each other" but you have a choice to tarnish a guys thread or not. You also have the choice to start a thread of your own to discuss a method you do not care for and debate it there.

Since we have already posted all the BS in the OP's thread, lets look at the original post from what I seen as a Long Range Hunter. First thing I noticed about the thread was the shooter was well inside his comfort zone for clean kills. He cares about clean kills because he stated with his first kill he used a follow up shot to end any suffering. The deer was down, It has a 338 hole through it and he didn't have to do this. He did it to quickly end any suffering. That is proof he wanted the animal dead quick and he cares. Not he was taking a risk with a longer shot. Every shot was a hit in the vital zone, even the follow up. Again, the conditions were good and he was well within his zone. If he choose to let them get out a little farther that is his choice. Just like the posters that decided to read something else into it of a negative nature. You can sugar coat it now but the posts read and sounded as a negative nature.

The OP told of his hunt. He was very informative and told of each bullets placement and damage. It was a good report with things many can learn from. I like reading these exact stories of hunting. That is why I read them. Others must too, or is it to look for a flaw? How many other hunters will not post their results and stories when they see they may be interrogated, or grilled on minor things?

I hope Len gets on here and cleans this thread up for the OP. That includes my posts. And also reminds some of one of the best rules of this great forum. NO ETHICS DISCUSSIONS.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

It was a question and yes it wasn't something I feel the same on. I apologize to the op for pooping on his thread as I said before it was good shooting. I agree he was well inside is comfort zone. The concept was all and it really was just a question I wasn't trying to crucify him or anything. Congrats on the successful hunt. Merry Christmas everybody.