Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Blooded the 338 Lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Blooded the 338 Lapua

I have the same mindset as PyroducksX3, I dont let them get farther. I shoot eveything if its 10 yards or 1000 yards. But... thats becasue deer hunting is a challenge for me period. Not the finding deer, just having time to go out. So first thing I see goes down (I dont shoot little bucks though).

In this case I totally understand the waiting for it to get further away. It is almost like varmit hunting. There are so many animals, it just gets too boring. I lived in Alberta for a bit and you can literally fill your two doe tags and a buck in an evening.

If the shot is a sure thing, its a sure thing.

Good shooting!
Im looking at trying out the 250 grain Berger OTMs next season, cant wiat!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

MSLRHunter,

You could well be on to something with that east/west thinking.

However, I will not agree with setting up further away than is neccessary either.

Taking a longer shot just to take a longer shot, in my opinion, is an ego trip. Nothing more and nothing less.

Taking a longer shot is what the range/practice time is for. So, you will be ready to take that longer shot IF it were to present itself. NOT, if you set it up to be longer.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post

However, I will not agree with setting up further away than is neccessary either.

Taking a longer shot just to take a longer shot, in my opinion, is an ego trip. Nothing more and nothing less.

Taking a longer shot is what the range/practice time is for. So, you will be ready to take that longer shot IF it were to present itself. NOT, if you set it up to be longer.
Jack
According to your way of thinking we should all just sell our long range rigs and go back to the lever action 30-30s. There is no animal that's we hunt that has to be shot at more than 50 yards unless you're on an ego trip. The proof for this is the fact that archery hunters do it every day. I've killed a lot of good deer with all kinds of bows, even recurves and long bows. We don't need firearms to kill game.
I don't know you, but I know the area you live in very well. I'm guessing you shoot prairie dogs since you live near the Conata Basin. When you shoot prairie dogs do you stalk up close to shoot them or do you do like I do and set up at the edge of the town and see just how far you can hit them from? If that's an ego trip then I'm guilty.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Bronze Member

Good shooting. I would like to speak to those who do like the idea of intentionally choosing to take a long shot. I would just like to say that to be we are all brother in the hunt. Whether you like to shoot close or far, bow or gun, or shotgun versus rifle. We are all hunters. We have enough pressure from anti-hunting groups like PETA and others that attack us. We do not have to attack one another.

He hunts responsibly, ethically, and had a great time. I congratulate you. How else are we back east supposed to practice for Western hunts if we do not set up at distance. Shooting steel is just not the same. Congrats on 3 does.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

Nimrodmar10,

You went off the deep end there.

Don't take what I said as condemnation of long range hunting or shooting (they are different). But, more of the reasoning behind taking a longer shot just because you wanted to shoot longer than the shot that presented itself.

As the question was asked earlier by pyroducksx3, "Why would you let a shot get longer intentionally?"

Answering that question will allow others to understand your thinking. If not for ego, than for what reason?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

He explained himself quite well in post three!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Since when do we feel the authority to come on a guys personal hunting report thread, pick it apart looking for something we don't agree with, or is different than "how we do it" or should I say "how we would do it, if we did do it" and then call him out by asking him all these "why" questions?

He hunted the way he wanted to, he was successful and knew his equipment well and made the shots and dispatched the game.

If you don't agree with something then please be polite enough to just not agree and say nothing. If you feel strongly enough about a method used then start your own thread and argue, debate and ridicule there.

For heavens sake guys, this is Long Range Hunting. I think some people really need to look into other places to complain. Or maybe look into golf or tennis.

JMHO!

To the OP, glad you had a successful hunt and the team effort of your equipment and your shooter skill worked well.

Congrats and good shooting.

Jeff