Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Blink

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Blink

I see pro's wearing blinders all the time. I dont fully understand why, but if it works do it. Id wear a sundress if i could shoot half minute groups in it.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have seen shooting glasses with a black out. Personally, I think you should try it with both eye's open. It costs nothing and if you like it I am sure you will notice right off your face is much more relaxed.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Being right handed/left eyed and frugle I just put a piece of black tape on the left lense of my shooting glasses. It really helps!!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Bronze Member

Last two days I have been working on my dry fire blink, now if this attributed to more practice or change of techniques, but I started pulling the trigger during my natural respiratory pause and I haven't blinked, so I guess I'm wondering how steady are your guys crosshairs during the breathing process before the shot?? Mine seems to move a touch while breathing but center back up before the shot and the dry fires feel good.. Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

When i use a rear bag im pretty solid the whole time. I could probably slap the trigger and not pull the gun to far off POA. Without the rear bag, i move around quite a bit, of course it varies with heart rate and how long ive been in that position. So this is the way i practice when i dry fire.

Sounds like your getting a handle on what you dont like about your technique, keep practicing and try to apply it in the field. Hope everything goes your way.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

I have a really nice recoil pad on my current LR rifle and it absorbs most of the heart rate bump. With my other rifles I had to reduce heart to 64 or less and plan a shot between beats, or pull the rifle off my shoulder to reduce bump. I try and get as much bone on stock contact as possible as well, or use a shooting vest that is designed to reduce bump.

For me, if I have time, like at a range, I take 5 deep solid breaths and the go to shallow breathing, exhale softly, squeeze. Sometimes I go ahead and hold my breath momentarily. I try, at least most of the time, to keep myself oxygenated so that might mean a do over on deep breaths. Too much shallow breathing and you will panic breath, shake, cloud out, or just be uncomfortable.

I dunno, I generally feel OK with my hold. I have a 204 that I practiced with for a couple months at 300 and was consistenly shooting .75 inch groups. That rifle is dead on so any goofs is all on me. I stretched it to 500 and I was good for 1.5" groups. That scope has big cross hair and no parallax adjustment. I notice a tad more anxiety with the 6.5-284 tho. Perhaps the bigger bang messes with our heads more than we want it too.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I notice a tad more anxiety with the 6.5-284 tho. Perhaps the bigger bang messes with our heads more than we want it too.
I definetly agree. Bigger the boom the harder it is to stay smooth.