Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Black bear skull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

Re: Black bear skull

Good story remingtonman, and great shot. Proman, buddy lets hear that story! Without waiting to be asked, I'll tell mine. I was hunting with my muzzleloader for elk, and also had a bear tag. Late in the morning I was dozing in the sun when I was awakened by a splash. A bear was swimming around in the small lake I was sitting by. When he climbed out I promptly overestimated the range and shot over him. I could see glimpses of him as he ran around the lake toward me. When he came out of the trees and stopped, he was standing on the bank directly across from me. I shot and hit him in the spine. I quickly reloaded as he went roaring off into the forest, scrambling on his front legs. I dashed around the lake and cautiously went into the woods after him. I hadn't gone far when he came at me from under a spruce tree. His jaws were popping and he roared as I brought my rifle up and shot him at about 10 paces. As soon as I fired I turned and ran out of the woods to the bank of the lake. As fast as I could I charged my rifle, but with the barrel fouled, my tight fitting conical bullet wouldn't seat. I put the ramrod against a tree and shoved the ball home, breaking the ramrod in the process. With my final shot loaded, I crept back into the woods. I was greatly relieved to find the bear lying dead where I had last fired. I was 19 when I took that bear.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Black bear skull

Great bear hunting stories. I especially liked the one with the broken ramrod. Adrenaline is a powerful thing. Rufous.