Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BIPODS? Anyone use them? Are they worth it? Harris...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 11:38 PM

BIPODS? Anyone use them? Are they worth it? Harris...

I'm considering mounting a bipod for hunting- thought it might increase my shooting long range...better than leaning against a rock with my baseball cap [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any opinions on bipods? Are they worth it?

Which would you choose?

MODELS:

Model BR: (Bench Rest) Lowest of the Bipods. Most useful for shooting off the bench. Adjustable height from 6" to 9".

Model L: (Light) The world's largest selling bipod, compact and light. Adjustable height from 9" to 13" Weight 11 oz.

Model H: (High) For prone or sitting shooting, it's the best for varmint shooting. Adjustable from 13 1/2" to 23"

Model 25C: The tallest of the Bipods, Three piece leg construction adjustable from 13 1/2" to 27"

STYLES:

Series "M": A new version of the original Leg Notch Bipod. The legs eject by spring action. Height settings in 1" incremwents.

Series "S": Rotates to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness. They are otherwise similar to non-rotating Series. Available for ALL models except the "H" model.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: BIPODS? Anyone use them? Are they worth it? Harris...

Worth it? I would have a tough, tough time without the Harris on my Wolf and 6mm Rem... I don't use them on "woods rifles", of course - but for the long range stuff, I can't see using anything else...

And I'd get the shortest one possible - the BR...
Old 08-20-2003, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

most of my hunting is prairie and river bluff hunting. i always have a bipod on my rifles.

i like the longest model as it makes shooting from a seated position comfortable and possible. it goes short enough that prone is possible, though not comfortable, unless the terrain is broken enough that you can get the feet down lower than your belley.

i don't like the short models because they are mostly useless for shooting in the field - but if your shooting will be done from a bench, hood of a truck, etc, i don't think you can beat the br model.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

I use the LM model exclusively, the notched leg version. There is never a worry about the leg slipping due to a lightly tightened cinch nut.

The only rifles I don't have a Harris Bipod on is my M40A1 look-a-like and that's only because there's no place to attach it (Wichita sling swivels).

I have had the tall versions in the past and the 3 piece leg version (25C) of the tall models seems best...low enough to shoot prone with and tall enough to shoot while sitting. The 2 piece leg tall version (H) seems to be just a little too short for seated shooting.

Just peen the leg swivel bolts a little at the nut end when you get it/them...I've had the nut come loose on a few...saves trouble in the field.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

on my long range gun, no, i dont. i was getting to much jump from the recoil, and had problems keeping groups under 1moa past 500yards so now i shoot off my ruck sack.

on my 270 though, where shots are only up to 400yds, yes, i have one on that and its very nice.

-brian
Old 08-20-2003, 06:41 AM
*WyoWhisper*

I have found that they really work well for rifles with breaks when shooting prone.. but.. if you have a 360* break.. it gets dusty.. I don't have 360* breaks anymore...

On my rifles without breaks... the muzzle jump tends to be fierce at times. and past 500 can be a little difficult....
Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 AM

I have the Harris H and 25C. I use the 25C all the time, it is tall enough for me to use it sitting down. I haven't used the S models with the swivel. Seemed to move to much to shoot good at long range. I know a guy that has one and he seems to shoot fine at long range.