Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Bipod Techinque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bipod Techinque

Hunted unit 70 last Oct. First hunt there, got into the elk immediately first morning, could see several good bulls but couldn't shoot because of that damm brush. Kinda wasted the first day sorting things out, then found some holes and started filling tags. My partner and I came home with our four elk.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

I know a couple of packers that pack in unit 71, I have my own pack horses so I dont know how much they charge. Most of the guides use their own and alot of the local hunters here have their own horses
Old 02-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Bronze Member

Hi all not to take over the thread because lord knows i need better technique but i was wondering if anyone lives around grand junction. I am moving there in the spring and am looking for help learning to hunt out west. I have lived in MO for the last 12 years and have whitetail hunted and everything else that is available. I know hunting out west is a lot different and i dont know where to start. Thanks for any help that can be given.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Not from that area but WELCOME TO COLORADO ANYWAY, get in shape, hunt the oak brush thats faces to the north in canyons that run east and west in the november season. Seasons earlier then that hunt the high spruce and aspen trees that grow above the oak brush and most improtant have a great time and be safe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Hi guys,hope you don't mind me butting in.
I have shot off a bipod since 1995 and they are invaluable to me now.
On my 338 Lapua I have a parker hale military type that swivels left to right and cants the rifle as well.
On my hunting rifle I use a harris swivel which has accounted for hundreds of animals,both in my native Wales and here in New Zealand.
It certainly pays dividends to put forward pressure on the legs as you aim.I have also found that you need to lock the legs to stop them turning as you push forward.
We have a gunsmith here in S.island that makes spiked feet for the harris and they are fantastic,however they do make a big mess on the bonnet of the truck !!!!
Hope that is of some help.
Nigel.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Bearless,

I prefer to shoot off my pack too, but as you know that does not always work. I elk hunt in southern NM and have the same problem you mentioned. Terrain, and brush make using a pack impossible in many places and prone bi-pod is a problem for the same reason.

I almost always carry a spotting scope and tripod (this is a heavy setup, especially when combined with a 16lb rifle...) I use a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod with a homemade rest that clips onto the tripod. I simply pop the scope off and snap on the rest. The legs will adjust (by spreading them out) for a prone shot all the way up to a standing shot. I have used this setup several times for some long shots over the years. I like to get set with my back against a tree or rock to further stabalize me if I am sitting, but that is not always possible.

If you try this, use only a professional type tripod such as a Bogen (read $200-$300). That will insure a stable platform. The cheap ones with plastic heads are not stable enough. The heads have slop, and the legs generally will not stand the weight of a LR rifle without flexing.

I still like to shoot off my pack when conditions allow, but this setup gives me the flexibility to adapt to terrain better.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Hey RDM416 I would love to see a couple of pics of that tripod action.