Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The big question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: The big question

Your foxes must be the size of Volkswagons if you need a sawed off .308 to kill them???????
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Welcome aboard sir! I don't know how available Savage arms are to you but they make a fairly inexpensive rifle that will shoot sub moa in a large variety of cartridges. With a barrel wrench and a little practice, you can easily switch barrels yourself which would fit right in with your laws. For large animals such as moose and elk, bigger is better. I would go with the 30 over the 7mm..........Rich
Agree with Savage, plus the bolt head is easily replaced in about 10 minutes for different cartridges. Standard .473 (308, 243, 30-06, et) can be changed to the magnum .540 by you easily.

I disagree with the 30 cal vs 7mm though, unless you plan to shoot Berger's tactical bullets, then a 300RUM or similar is beast. But, for moose and elk, 338 RUM and up.

So, a 2 or 3 gun battery is a must in my opinion. 243 AI shooting the biggest bullets you can find for deer and below and a 338 Lapua or similar for the big stuff is my choice.

Second behind the 243 is a 7mm with 6.5 being 3rd, and a 30cal rounding up the group as 4th pick, imho.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Your foxes must be the size of Volkswagons if you need a sawed off .308 to kill them???????
If you haven't seen a norvegian fox, you cant really understand the size...
Sometimes you have fill em so full of led that they are to heavy to run before you are able to get within shotgun slug range.

No, but there re so many stupid rules here, and so expensive to reload that i try to stay with as few calibers as possible.
the minimum approved bullet weight for hunting ''large game'' deer an up is 140gr.
I dont think it would be smart of me to have to many specialized calibers.
I always hunt with a suppressor, and the .308 is one of the few calibers I can easily reload for while maintaining a short barrel length and possibly subsonic.
some of the places that I hunt is pretty near houses, trying to stay as short and quiet as possible.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM

I live in Norway too and hunt there.

First no system rifle is light, the lightest one is still heavy. However if you like only 3 shoot magazine then blaser r93 is probably ok for you.

Sauer 202 can use DFS rifle sauer 200 str barrels. BUT it is not easy to swap caliber group. Then it is blaser with small magazine you cannot upgrade or mauser m03 which has it all but is relatively heavy.

Caliber for fox that I use is 223 rem with short barrel and atec maxim silencer and shortened barrel, loaded with 50 grain vmax or ballistic tip and you have a winner.

Caliber for roe deer, caribu and crown deer for me is 6.5x55 loaded with 140 grain sierra game king, great combo.

And for moose plus beer hunt including grizzly in Canada I use 338 winmag with 250 grain speer grandslam.

For the combo above I use mauser m03.

Also the 6 gun law is for hunting, so pistol or revolver is not counted, any competition rifle is not counted, and practical gun such as AR15 for example is not counted, so register the guns for competition or whatever but hunting and you can own 50 or 100 if you want.

Good luck.