Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Big Game Rifle Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Bronze Member

Big Game Rifle Caliber?

Sometime this year (hopefully over the summer) I am looking into getting a rifle for big game and some longer range target shooting. I currently have a Tikka T3 Lite .243 that I use for coyote and white tail deer. I figure it is time to get something for elk, mule deer, etc. I live in Arizona so some of the shots on deer and elk can be long (300+ yards)

I would really like something that is versatile (like I said good for big game and some target shooting). I have shot everything from a .270 to a 7mm MAG, to a 300 Ultra Mag. I am open to suggestions but PLEASE NO ODD CALIBERS that are hard to find. Here are a list of calibers that come to mind that may be good?

30-06
300 Win Mag
300 Win Short Mag
7MM Mag

I do plan on getting my own reloading equipment, but it may be a little while.

Basically, a shot opportunity like this is not unusual for me (very open terrain in a lot of Arizona depending on where you are):

Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Big Game Rifle Caliber?

7mm Rem Mag! You won't regret it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

7mm STW or 300wm is what I'd say. Either of them will do whatever you want to 1,000yds for Anything on the continent.

Have both, love both, but the STW of course is my favorite because it is so flat shooting.

I was also a 7mm Rem shooter for 20 plus years before I moved up to the STW, and no, I'm not going back.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
7mm STW or 300wm is what I'd say. Either of them will do whatever you want to 1,000yds for Anything on the continent.

Have both, love both, but the STW of course is my favorite because it is so flat shooting.

I was also a 7mm Rem shooter for 20 plus years before I moved up to the STW, and no, I'm not going back.
You know I'm as big an STW advocste as anyone...And I love my STW, but I still love my 7mm RemMags. They both hold their own, but in their respective categories.

If he is planning on shooting 1K or further with most shots being 500+....Go with the 7mm STW. 1K and under, and mostly under 750, the 7mm RemMag with VLD's will be perfect.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You know I'm as big an STW advocste as anyone...And I love my STW, but I still love my 7mm RemMags. They both hold their own, but in their respective categories.

If he is planning on shooting 1K or further with most shots being 500+....Go with the 7mm STW. 1K and under, and mostly under 750, the 7mm RemMag with VLD's will be perfect.
Pretty much but the STW is a hell of a lot sexier!

Honestly I never thought I'd be without a 7mm Rem but I have been for about 8 years now and don't miss it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

CC268,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Go with the .300 Win Mag and you have yourself a winner!
Go with .210, .215, and possibly .230 and you're golden!

Below are very good threads from Jeff (BROZ)

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

Good luck on your LR endeavor. Happy safe shooting and hunting. Cheers!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

300 win mag and you will do fine.