Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: bi-pod
Poll Options
bi-pod

bi-pod poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: bi-pod poll

I voted sometimes , because for zeroing the rifle in, it would be excellent...
Otherwise I would use my pack , which I haven't done yet. My hunting shots have been standing shots mostly. I would have preferred a rest if one was available
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Silver Member

Voted sometimes. I have had instances were, I have had to use or had the need for one but that's very rare for self.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOUTIND View Post
I use one all the time. I normally use 6 to 9 harris with swivel and notched legs. LOL........ i have 5 bipods:( i have issues.... I just put a versa pod size 15" to 23" for my next hunt.. Has anyone used the versa pod setup>?
Use 2 versapods. One is 7-9 for prone, and the other is 15-23 version for sitting. I have found them highly adaptable to varied ground, stable and effective. As well, I like the quick release so I can swap from rifle to rifle quickly. My only complaint is that in wet weather, you have to douse the components and joints liberally with oil to keep them from rusting. Aluminum or SS would be a nice option, but then the price tag would skyrocket.

The 23 in bipod is perfect for sitting when fully extended for a taller guy.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM

I voted always, because I'm never sure if I am going to need it or not. But when I need it, it had better be there. I have a Harris S bipod 9-13 inches. For years I shot off whatever rest I could find. I am much more accurate and versatile with a bipod. What is more, the ability to level my gun is much easier and more reliable with a swivel bipod. I just shot a mule deer at 670 yards. Without the rock solid rest provided by the bipod, I would not have been comfortable taking the shot.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a sometimes too. As others have stated, on my heavy LR rig it is a necessity. I use a GG&G HD unit with quick detach, and have nothing bad to say about it

For my medium range rifles, I don't use one. I'll shoot off a pack, or carry a fold-up mini tripod with a little front bag. It is light, slips right in a pack, and can be deployed quickly if I have to set up really solid for a longer shot.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

I am also a sometimes, but after the last two weekends chasing antelope does, I found that my bipod was causing a change in POI due to the stock flexing and contacting the barrel. Time to relieve the barrel channel some more.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Voted SOMETIMES.

I used Harris Bipod all the times, but when the snow is to deep I have to used a backpack to shoot from.
You have to train shooting from various platform, or just improvised with what you find around you (on nature)
Rocks, fallen trees, etc