Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: bi-pod
Poll Options
bi-pod

bi-pod poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

bi-pod poll

The thread on the atlas pod got me thinking how necessary is a bi-pod. Is it that much better than shooting of a pack or some other solid rest? And judging by the atlas thread it looks like its worth it to spring for the better one over a cheapy.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: bi-pod poll

Voted Sometimes...because while I certainly think a solid rest is essential to accuracy I do want the bi-pod detachable for times when some other type/better rest is available.

Jack
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Here's a side by side picture of the Atlas and Harris bipods for those of us who can't live without them!!
Atlas:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AD532ODWGkY1JQ

I voted always as I think a good bipod is essential for consistent long range shooting, this said I have harvested way more game from improvised field shooting positions but would not suggest starting out without a bipod as my plan.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

also if you vote it as a must have could you state the bi-pod you have thanks.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM
Gold Member

I voted sometimes. Most of the time, i shoot off my pack and I personally find it faster to shoot and re-acquire the target if it is moving from this position. This being said, I think that the bipod is more stable.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Sometimes.

My bi-pod is a Harris, but the Atlas is a much more versatile item though there are Harris' which have similar capability, just not at the level of performance (nor price).

I voted sometimes because there have been instances when the bi-pod worked just right for me, but at other times I've just shot off my pack (or whatever).

In any event, I'm planning on making a rifle rest adapter for my CF photography tripod so I probably won't need my bi-pod much longer.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

I voted sometimes, because I have shot alot of game off hand or improvise.For speed goat almost must have.I always pack mine on my hip belt.Here is a set up w/atlas and my outdoorsman w/my alum. saddle bracket.No problem going long with that set up
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
bi-pod poll-338-chute.jpg