Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Beware the budget rifle that can smoke you on the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Beware the budget rifle that can smoke you on the range

Great read,, but I am CUSTOMIZING my savage 11 with a new recoil pad.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin lizard View Post
Great read,, but I am CUSTOMIZING my savage 11 with a new recoil pad.

LOL!!! That made me giggle.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

I went with a friend to shoot and check out his new rem. 700 243 -said he couldn't get it to group like it should.
He laid a gym-bag on the hood of his truck and shot a three shot group that measured about 2" [no rear rest] -i was a little confused.He asked me what could be done to make it shoot like these guys he hears about who shoot 1/2" groups -i pulled out a rest w/ rear bag -instant 3/4" group .
He told me yeah but that's cheatin.laugh.
Some factory rifles are go-getters for sure..-Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Thanks! I'm looking at a Savage Model 10 with McMillan stock in .308. You can't beat it for the price. If I take it in and spend another $300 accurizing it further it still puts me under the price of a Rem 700 which I love.

J
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

I have 3 shooting Savages, 1 custom 280 AI, a 223, and a 17 HMR. And another custom Savage in the works (338 EGDGE). All 3 shooters are .5 @100 yards or less. the 280 is .5 at 200 yards. Just goes to show that inexpensive doesn't mean inaccurate. The scopes cost more than the guns. BTW all are left hand.

Regards all : Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Two thumbs up.

You are totally correct. Good post.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Bronze Member

lol.. gotta add this story, last summer my 12 year old son bought his first deer rifle , he saved his money, and had enough to buy a rem 710 chambered for 270 win , we sighted it in and i was pretty impressed with the accuracy. one sunday afternoon a bunch of us were shooting here at our home range. Everybody except Aaron (my son) had nice upper priced rifles. One of the guy's is kind of a know it all, and was making alot of negative remarks about Aaron's rifle.. " I wouldn't own a rifle like that" ect.. ect.. everyone took there turn at the bench, we had two targets set up, and soon there were plenty of bullet holes in and slightly above the bull. Aaron shot last. We had put tape over the previous holes. Aarons rifle was sighted dead on at 100yds, because where we were hunting, that was as far as he would be shooting. After his first shot, the know it all looked through the spotting scope and exclaimed in a huff.." Ya didn't even hit the target bud!!" Aaron didn't say nothing and settled in for his second shot, after which mister know it all again exclaimed... " where in the..... are you aiming ya still didn't hit the target !!!" He again started commenting on Aarons "junk rifle" and informed me that i need to have him practice more!!! at the crack of Aarons third shot the cardboard target fell down , and Aaron turned to mister know it all with a smile and said, " I was aiming for the nail holding the target" closer inspection showed the head of the nail gone and two little holes touching the side !!! I was impressed with....1. that rifles accuracy...2. my sons shooting... and.. 3. the way he conducted himself despite all the negative remarks.. they sure grow up fast.