Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Better bear bait brings bigger bounties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 08:43 PM

Re: Better bear bait brings bigger bounties

Been bear hunting about 15 years,don't use a barrel, make a hole in the ground and cover it with logs. Use a trail timer tied to a tree and then the string going to one of the logs,when he moves the logs, you have your time. I get my bait from the local deli(fried chicken corndogs,lasagna...)I bring them 5 gallon pals and they just empty their trays and cover it and fridge.(this does cost me a couple packs of polish and steaks). No raw fish or meat,won't use it. Also get donuts and bread from the local bakery,bears love sweets.I always soak anything I put out with fryer grease and go through about 30 gallons a season. I bait at the same time EVERY DAY! and they get into your habit. I had one young male that would be waiting for me to feed him(boom) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Bear meat is great, but I have had a few tough ones. I bait 2 stations that are fairly close, half mile and if both get hit will continue, but if I get irratic hits, I will abandon one(same bear).Only one year without getting a bear,(didn't put in the proper time). I have one over 450,son has one over 400 and he shot one last year that went 279.hope this helps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys, dis ain't rocket science! Just go with the honey drip. It works every time it's tried! The key to the whole drill is keepem coming back. This is known as habitualism. Also guys, checkout Cabela's for digital gear they've got a load in all price ranges. The pics are more fun than the killing as these bear can be real clowns on the honey drip. Also the images allow you to see a good heap of animals with the motion sensor. You for sure want a date and time stamp to look for patterns. This is one of those deals you can really have fun with. ENJOY!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 05:45 PM

Easy to say living in Alaska. Plus I have competition from other hunters and guides. My rocket science produces bears yearly .I think I will stick with it. The "master" baiter always wins [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

well i dunno about baiting bears, i shot one once in CA, back in 95, and it tasted great, best game meat i've had, like best beef, but gamey.
For baiting pigs i use an empty guiness barrel.brown sugar, honey, and a beef stock tasting spice from maggi( tastes a bit like worster sauce(sp) .mix 5kg sugar with 1kg honey and 3 pints maggi, 8 pints hot water and 56 lbs corn in plastic barrel and let it ferment for a month.transfer to the guiness barrel and hey presto
it goes alchoholic and the pigs love the stuff.. i gues it would work for bears if we had any.
Pete