Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

bet sub sonic combo for 500 yards ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: bet sub sonic combo for 500 yards ?

well I might get something from ssk.
leaning towards the 50 American eagle is a 50 AE case straight walled to .510
to take 50 bmg projos and launch them at sub sonic speeds . brass would be easier to make than for the whisper .
Old 09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the same thing as the .338 Federal.

.338 Federal can send a 210 @ 2600 fps MV.
Sorry i had my head up my a
Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Sorry i had my head up my a
It's cool...You were more right than you know. The .338-08 was around long before the .338 Federal. So, you were on the money, but it's easier to find dies for a .338 Federal. I'm not sure of the similarities and differences. I do know the .338 Federal is a wildcat form of the .338-08.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's cool...You were more right than you know. The .338-08 was around long before the .338 Federal. So, you were on the money, but it's easier to find dies for a .338 Federal. I'm not sure of the similarities and differences. I do know the .338 Federal is a wildcat form of the .338-08.
Hmmm. Im gonna research this. Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

I just went down this road. I ended up with my own version of a .510.
I piggybacked off what someone else had done with the longer ultra mag cases. When I called them to have one of their barrels made I was told they no longer do them and they don't even have a reamer any longer. So I had my own made. I had also conversed with SSK a couple times about a .510 Whisper and I liked that guy's attitude so much I decided not to work with him.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

yeah he certainly has a "personality" that one lol
. I think I will just wait and see when the long action chassis I want comes out
seen a thread on here about a 470 capstick now that looked fun .
loaded rounds for the 510 whisper would probably be like 10$ a round don't think so.
I don't have any money right now so I have time to decide
Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

The brass for the .510 Whisper is gonna cost ya. 338 Lapua cases aren't cheap, then add in the machining work. I have a buddy that works at Remington and got me a supply of 300 RUM cases for cheap, so I really don't know what they are going for. Then I got a couple hundred pulled .50 BMG API projectiles from a supplier for $0.50 per. If I use 750gr Amax or Lehigh Subsonic bullets they will cost about $2 a piece. The Amax has a BC so high that out to the 500 yards you want you lose less than 100 fps velocity, the wind drift is minimal and it'll still hit like a hammer. Plus if I ever want to hunt Blue Whale I can push the velocity to over supersonic speeds.
As far as actions go, mine is built on a Savage long action. However I would have to push the long BMG projectiles really far into the case to get them to load into the magazine. So far that I might as well have made the chamber shorter. Not a problem with the straight walled case, just wouldn't have ran the reamer in as far. Mine will load shorter bullets into and feed from the mag, but I don't care if I have to run it single. I do it with my .338 Edge.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.