Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best of the West. Your longrange authority. Seriously?? (Rant)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best of the West. Your longrange authority. Seriously?? (Rant)

I do like the show but
What I don't understand is they preach dialing up your turret insted of using a drop recticle. but then tell you its easer and faster to hold for wind with the Huskemaw rectical. So why would you not just get a scope that has the custom drop built into the scope with marks for 10 to 20 wind. This way if the animal takes a few steps closer or further away you could just hold a little higher or lower. If not you would have to re range and dial the turret in again.
My hunting situation is noting like theres. They never seemed to be rushed for time. Where I hunt its not possible to set and watch the animal for hours on end. I may only see and have a shot at the animal for minute or two. This doesn't leave time to range, then calculate wind and dial the turret up just to see the animal take a few steps and then have to do everything all over again.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Why I only Use MOA and USO builds all of my scopes the same way-----here is the table I use for the Warp 7:

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 10-19-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Advertising dollars and overhype of there products is what brings us the shows. Just like gunsmiths overhype of there proprietary rounds. It sells new guys to the sport who do not realize there are many other choices, many times far better choices. Most guys with any kind of experience just watch the shows for the hunting and tune out the BS. Just like here on the forum. Experienced guys tune in to see what's going on and tune out all the popular cartridge hype that could be duplicated or exceeded most times by standard rifles and cartridges off the shelf. New guys just got to spend money and learn the truth I guess.

I quit watching BOTW because I thought they went overboard hyping there product lines and giving misinformation to sell there product. I prefer shows that subtly represent there sponsors and do not spend half the show spewing inaccurate claims that what they do is best.

For the record: BOTW is responsible for more wounded and lost elk than anything I have ever seen. The 7mm rem mag and 168 grain Berger bullet combination in particular are responsible now for more lost elk than anything I have ever witnessed in all my years of hunting. Please new guys do not get caught up in this one! Please get an elk rifle and elk bullets. Bears and other scavengers hope the show runs 24 hours a day though. I don't know if it is all the new guys get this and immediately think they can kill elk at 1000 yards or what. But the numbers are stagering for whatever reason. I shoot 7mms and some like my 7mm gibbs and 7mm jrs are basically the same as the 7mm rem mag. I know I can kill elk with those with propr bullets and shot placement.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 10-19-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Advertising dollars and overhype of there products is what brings us the shows. Just like gunsmiths overhype of there proprietary rounds. It sells new guys to the sport who do not realize there are many other choices, many times far better choices. Most guys with any kind of experience just watch the shows for the hunting and tune out the BS. Just like here on the forum. Experienced guys tune in to see what's going on and tune out all the popular cartridge hype that could be duplicated or exceeded most times by standard rifles and cartridges off the shelf. New guys just got to spend money and learn the truth I guess.

I quit watching BOTW because I thought they went overboard hyping there product lines and giving misinformation to sell there product. I prefer shows that subtly represent there sponsors and do not spend half the show spewing inaccurate claims that what they do is best.

For the record: BOTW is responsible for more wounded and lost elk than anything I have ever seen. The 7mm rem mag and 168 grain Berger bullet combination in particular are responsible now for more lost elk than anything I have ever witnessed in all my years of hunting. Please new guys do not get caught up in this one! Please get an elk rifle and elk bullets. Bears and other scavengers hope the show runs 24 hours a day though.
I just got my (!) in a ringer for saying very simmilar things about it (with a bit different phrasing) on another thread. Look out LTLR, they will come after you with a vengance, and treat you like public enemy number one, cause they saw it, and hered it on BOTW...... hahahahahahaha

Now Ill admit I love the show, and what it promotes- long range hunting- not nesicarily thier products-, and Ive seen some great marksmanship on there, but for my needs and hunting style, Im not into what theyre selling, so I use my mute button alot durring thier show.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 10-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Winmag on this, I watch BOTW or any LRH show and enjoy the entertainment factor.
I've had several guys, in amazement tell me that a 7mag smokes a 300RUM and they gotta get one to seriously kill elk, all but one guy listened to facts like running the numbers on a 300RUM pounding out a 200+gr bullet with a decent BC, comparing a high BC bullet to a low BC bullet like that is a shameless attempt to jerk peoples chain. The system seems to work in it's effective range, one guy I work with drank the cool-aid and so I've got my hands on one BOTW setup a little and it does work, not to the range and conditions I can dialing current conditions like most of use do. Thank God it is such an over price system or they would be twice as many guys laying down a hail of fire from there 7mm's.
Love the show not the propaganda!!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Im with LTLR on this one. I have witnessed it first hand with clients in the field. I have heard the BOTW kool-aide propaganda around the lodge table and it really is funny how people buy into it just because they saw it on tv or read it on the net. What I tell all my clients when asked what is the "Best" rifle for elk or deer is: The one your not scared of and the one you shoot the best. However with that said I will never allow a client to take a shot that he doesnt have the gun for and that I dont think he has a VERY high chance of making. When I get clients quoting rhetoric from tv and the net and have no way of backing it up with hard facts I pull the reins way in.

I like hearing promotion and acceptance of LRH however I dont like how BOTW does it. However this is the USA and free enterprise and if I dont like it then I should promote my own show and compete with them and do it different. Right?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

I too watched the same show. My favorite part was when they said their turrets are customized for the conditions and then showed a Leupold MOA turret and said this one is just a one size fits all turret. I thought their whole selling point was one size fits all. I would feel like an Ahole if I had to get up and talk a bunch of crap but whatever makes a paycheck.