Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

BEST of THE WEST?? REALLY THE BEST?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: BEST of THE WEST?? REALLY THE BEST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
I can only surmise you have never actually tested this, have only tested with cheap, lousy chronos or are simply confusing the guaranteed accuracy in the specs of the machines with their actual precision. When you actually test this with a couple good chronographs:
You find that the variation of the delta between the two when measuring the same bullet is in the low single digits. More than good enough to derive very accurate BC data when separated by a couple hundred yards.
Darn Jon. Now I'm envious. That looks like a super set of 'consumer grade' Oehler chrono's. I wish I had two sets exactly like those!

Glad to read that another LRH is able to get single digit variation in the range of chronographed velocity differences. Shooting over a tandem chrono setup was a real eye opener for me. Without the ability to recognize and discard bogus (anomalous) readings, it became clear how misleading and confounding data from a single chronograph could (and would) be. I do get some bogus readings with my equipment, but at least I have the ability to identify the bad data from the good. I suspect you have fewer incidents of faulty data than I do, based on the quality equipment you're using.

My lesson learned? I will never again place high confidence in velocity data collected over a single chronograph (without the proof channel). Lacking the proof channel that your two chrono's are equipped with, or running a second separate chrono like I do, there's just no way to establish the credibility or error associated with recorded velocities.

Last edited by phorwath; 12-29-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Darn Jon. Now I'm envious. That looks like a super set of 'consumer grade' Oehler chrono's. I wish I had two sets exactly like those!

Glad to read that another LRH is able to get single digit variation in the range of chronographed velocity differences. Shooting over a tandem chrono setup was a real eye opener for me. Without the ability to recognize and discard bogus (anomalous) readings, it became clear how misleading and confounding data from a single chronograph could (and would) be. I do get some bogus readings with my equipment, but at least I have the ability to identify the bad data from the good. I suspect you have fewer incidents of faulty data than I do, based on the quality equipment you're using.

My lesson learned? I will never again place high confidence in velocity data collected over a single chronograph (without the proof channel). Lacking the proof channel that your two chrono's are equipped with, or running a second separate chrono like I do, there's just no way to establish the credibility or error associated with recorded velocities.
I don't have Oehler's, but I I do use two chronos. I thought I was the only guy this screwed up. It appears there should be some sort of support group for us.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
SNIP

When you actually test this with a couple good chronographs:

As a side question on your setup.

If your bar were slightly longer ( the thickness of one skyscreen) couldn't you get by using one bar and one tripod?
Chrono's A & B

If you mounted skyscreen 1A and then skyscreen 1B, followed by center skyscreen 2A and center skyscreen 2B, and lastly skyscreen 3A and then skyscreen 3B.

Your velocities should appear as almost identical since you dropped a few feet off of their separation ( the difference drops to the thickness of one skyscreen ) and their alignment would never be in question since they are on the same rail.

Just a thought.

edge.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, but I don't feel the need--I only do that occasionally. ;) I was verifying their calibration with each other. I trust a single Oehler at that spacing with the proof channel just fine for most of what I do.

Calibrating them is especially important when you're going to measure BC's. If one reads only 10 fps higher than the other, that will affect your results. When you establish this by shooting over both as shown above, you eliminate this difference in accuracy as a factor in your measurements. What is important is their precision.

If one reads 10 fps higher on one shot, 30 fps lower on the next shot, 20 fps higher on the next shot, etc (as +/- 30 fps would suggest) then you'd be wasting your time trying to measure BC's as their lack of precision will keep you from getting good results.

However, if one reads 10 fps higher on one shot, 11 fps higher the next shot, 9 fps higher the next shot, 12 fps higher the next shot, 8 fps higher the next shot, etc, you know that's plenty of precision to give you accurate BC results. You simply take the 10 fps (or whatever the average difference is) into account when you measure the velocity drop of the bullet over a distance.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burns View Post
...The egg comes first then the chicken...

GOT YOU!!!

GENESIS 1:20
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
GENESIS 1:21
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GENESIS 1:22
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

Yep! The Chicken Was First Then The Egg!!! It's true!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 PM

I'm brand new to this site so excuse me if I'm wrong. But did this whole thing develop into two shows ? " Long range Pursuit and The best of the west shows? I like both and am not sure as to how it all developed. One show promotes their rifle with a Nightforce scope and another with no branded rifle with the Huskemaw scope? It doesn't matter to me as far as the brand of rifle.. I have one of the cheapest rifles made a Stevens in .243 that shoots holes in holes with hand loaded ammo but a good scope. I also have a few custom rifles that do the same with lesser scopes. The one thing I would like to see from a show is how to shoot with a mil dot scope! Bob.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Might be in the dead letter file. The last post on this thread was December, 2009 or about 3 years ago.....