Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best of the West 'Lope shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best of the West 'Lope shot

Guys, this was latt durance, not a guest. He's the one that gives LR shooting segments on the show. No disrespect, but I would not have aired that show. That's the kind of thing the anti's are looking for.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

"I think people that watch the show, decide to engage in LRH, and have the means, are generally smart enough to recognize the inexperienced shooters on the show are being coached by the experts."......................................... ..........I would have thought so to and am sure that most do but definitely not all of them. I call em how I see em even if it means dumping on em sometimes but definitely appreciate what they have done for the sport.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submoa View Post
all im saying is if you pay that much for a rifle it better shoot like that. as the gunworks and mcwhorter and mcmillan and all the othere high priced rifles do

there is a reason they are high priced and that is the guarantee that they shoot
It doesn't matter how accurate the rifle is, or the rifle/load/scope combo is.

You still have to have the calculations right, and have to have someone driving it capable of making the shot or you have a very bad day. If you put it on TV then you have a bad ending to a show.

I've had clients hunt with me that literally had more invested in what they were shooting than I did in my F-350 that still couldn't hit a bull in the ass at 5 yards with a four yard barrel!

I've also had guys show up with a 25.00 piece of junk that rode around the the back of grampa's pickup for a decade or more who never missed a shot.

There's far more to it than just the hardware especially when you get to talking bout long range with a rifle.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

ok guys after watching the show again tonight yes it was latt and what had happened was the wind picked up right as he was pulling to trigger. You can hear the spotter say that the wind is picking up right as the gun was going off.

this stuff happens and at 800 yards 5 mph of wind is alot and if you look close at the show there in some pretty stout wind on that hunt. All in all still a good shot weather it was in the but or not.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Do they put these shows on the internet? I'd like to watch that one.

Quote:
Guys, this was latt durance, not a guest. He's the one that gives LR shooting segments on the show. No disrespect, but I would not have aired that show. That's the kind of thing the anti's are looking for.
Problem with covering up and not telling the whole truth is it's an admission of guilt. I haven't seen the show but if it ended with meat on the plate there should be no guilt.

The anti's have plenty of ammunition real and made up. Changing my behavior because of them and I might as well just give it up because they have already won.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

I would like to chime in and say, I have shot with each and everyone of the folks at best of the west, and THEY ARE SOME OF THE FINEST SHOTS I have had the pleasure of spending trigger time with, and John porter has forgotten more about longrange shooting then alot of us will ever know! We all can make a bad shot from time to time and things happen, but every time I shoot with these folks I not only learn something new but am so impressed with the shots these guys make and how easy the wind calls seem to come to them. not only are they great shots but super nice folks! They were the first to bring longrange hunting to the public and their contributions to our sport has played a huge part in making what it is today. Also they assemble each and every rifle that they sell, they use the cooper 520 and 560 actions and now they also offer the stiller action Earl their gun smith puts togther one hell of a rifle. He also holds many longrange shooting records his own self. I myself love their show as well as others but i take it for what it is and I know bad shots happen.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Misrepresentation is misrepresentation. In the field stuff happens. If you need to edit ok, but do a better job. Nobody likes their intelligence questioned, we're not stupid, and this won't get by the anti's either. Trying to "sneak" something like this by doesn't serve the folks putting it forward all that well. I didn't see this one, but the one where there's a shot by a woman on an elk at long range, don't remember the yardage or caliber (6mm?), caused a fair bit of discussion/scepticism. Credibility is easy to lose, tough to earn, tougher to re-earn.
I don't know these guys, and suspect they're great shots, maybe they need a better editor, or better editorial control if they've farmed it out.