Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Best of the West Cooper Rifle

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Castle colorado
Posts: 791
Best of the West Cooper Rifle

Spoke with the Best of the West crew at the ISE show in Denver last week. I had looked at their rifle, but wanted a more precise build than a Cooper. I told the guys this and they said Cooper supplies the components, but they assemble the rifles themselves. They say their rifle will make at least 1/2 MOA reliably, not just occasionally.
I've had 5 Coopers and still have 3. They are very nice rifles, but, IMO, not built to be true long range rifles.
The Best of the West rifle looked good, and I really liked the ergonomics of the stock, but I have a custom LR rifle on order already.
Anyone using one of these rifles, and what results are you getting?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,274
Re: Best of the West Cooper Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
Spoke with the Best of the West crew at the ISE show in Denver last week. I had looked at their rifle, but wanted a more precise build than a Cooper. I told the guys this and they said Cooper supplies the components, but they assemble the rifles themselves. They say their rifle will make at least 1/2 MOA reliably, not just occasionally.
I've had 5 Coopers and still have 3. They are very nice rifles, but, IMO, not built to be true long range rifles.
The Best of the West rifle looked good, and I really liked the ergonomics of the stock, but I have a custom LR rifle on order already.
Anyone using one of these rifles, and what results are you getting?
I have one of their rifles, a in 6.5x284. It shoots better than .5 MOA, it consistently groups .25 MOA. 3 shot groups, Warm, cold, clean or dirty, no change in point of impact. I have shot quite a few deer and antelope between 400 and 1000(998)yards. The barrel is very nice. Cleans up very fast and has very little copper fouling. I have the synthetic stock with the #6 heavy barrel. The rifle turned out to be much better than I expected. Also, delivery was exactly what was promised. They are great people to work with.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW MT
Posts: 2,587
Re: Best of the West Cooper Rifle

I have not had a Cooper, but living in MT, but have seen them for sale at stores. They usually have a target next to them that is one ragged hole, and I NOTICE THEY CARRY A 1/2 MOA spec. What is the reason that the cooper is not a LR and what does the BW rifle have that Cooper does not. Are the barrels different, trigger assembly, bed how, curious, thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 4422′44″N 1082′35″W
Posts: 3,878
Re: Best of the West Cooper Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I have not had a Cooper, but living in MT, but have seen them for sale at stores. They usually have a target next to them that is one ragged hole, and I NOTICE THEY CARRY A 1/2 MOA spec. What is the reason that the cooper is not a LR and what does the BW rifle have that Cooper does not. Are the barrels different, trigger assembly, bed how, curious, thanks
I see those same rifles for sale in billings at scheels and if you notice those ragged hole targets are all shot at 25 or 50 yards I cant remember which but its not impressive. I know they shoot well but I see it as a misrepresentation
__________________
Mike

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW MT
Posts: 2,587
Re: Best of the West Cooper Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I see those same rifles for sale in billings at scheels and if you notice those ragged hole targets are all shot at 25 or 50 yards I cant remember which but its not impressive. I know they shoot well but I see it as a misrepresentation
I thought they where 100???
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 838
Re: Best of the West Cooper Rifle

I guess ill chime in here for botw sence I was the one that built the first 50 or so cooper rifles for them. But ive sence moved on and started own shop. To start off they are a great rifle and are a true LR rifle. I have personally shot hundreds of rounds through them.
It is true that Cooper is shipping all the parts to botw and botw is doin all the work themself. They did make dome changes to the trigger to make them more Hunter friendly( bigger safety lever) and the stock was designed from sratch by the botw crew and is now made by HS. They do have the aluminum block and are skim bedded on top of that, barrels free floated. They use the same barrels as all the other Cooper rifles witch I must say I was extremely impressed of the quality of the barrel and are stainless steel. The muzzle break was also designed by the botw crew and is very effective. The process in witch the rifles that I built were to benchrest specs and I am assuming the same process is still being used. All chambers are to minimum spec match quality for the vld type bullet.
To end I would not blink an eye at purchasing one of these rifles and they are a great rifle and I'm sure you'll be more then happy with them. I am proud to have been there gunshots for the past 3 years and proud to be associated with botw. Hope this helps and hope I can help with any other questions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 838
Re: Best of the West Cooper Rifle

And as far as the targets with the rifles, the botw rifles are shot from 100 out to 1000 yds all other coolers are shot at 42 yds( reason for the 1 hole group) not sure why that distance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Best of the West Cooper Rifle
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooper Rifle Mounts? airstream Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 10 02-17-2013 10:26 PM
wtb cooper rifle ram3835 Guns For Sale 3 08-08-2012 11:49 PM
Cooper ... What do you all think of Cooper Varmint Rifles?? superlite17 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 11 06-24-2011 11:44 PM
Jewel Trigger for a Cooper rifle Iron Worker Guns For Sale 0 10-05-2005 06:38 PM
new cooper rifle ae_ted The Basics, Starting Out 1 11-27-2004 06:22 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 29.52%
49 Votes
NO - 55.42%
92 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 15.06%
25 Votes
Total Votes: 166
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC