Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best of the West!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: Best of the West!

I film for a couple diffrent outdoor shows part time. I can tell you just like hunting filming never goes as planned. I try to lay down as much footage as I can. I can nit pick TV shows so bad I have a hard time watching them. Example Trophy hunters TV, Matt shoots a buck with a rifle in a blind. One shot is of him using a Rem topped with a leupold, but "reinactment" he's using sponsored browning topped with sponsored nikon. Most of the time you only have one camera running, I run two. One just on the hunter and me filming the animal. This way you get a real reload and reaction shot, not a reinactment. As for the tips to more experinced, I would say good luck, as you are the minority. But I would say that is a good thing.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

They did the same thing on a popular archery hunting show, a bunch of folks were hunting in wyoming and using mainly 2 types of bows, mathews, and hoyt's I fall in the latter group. They were filming everybodys hunts and after the kill if you were shooting a hoyt they wanted to take more film of you shooting a Mathews, needless to say I didnt make it on that episode.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM

I have a question. What is the black ring on the stainless barrel just ahead of the stock? I looks like a wrap of electrical tape. Anyone know what it is? Or what it's for?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodakor View Post
I have a question. What is the black ring on the stainless barrel just ahead of the stock? I looks like a wrap of electrical tape. Anyone know what it is? Or what it's for?
I have wondered the same thing!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

It is electrical tape it is used to cover the muzzle to keep dirt and debris out of the bore, we wrap a small amount around the barrel so its always handy. It doesn't effect the bullet at all, it blows off before the bullet gets there!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

I totally agree. I only watch it because its on the DVR and i can zip through it to see if there is anything worth watching. I am almost to the point of deleting the timer on the DVR. I like long range pursuits much better. Almost everything about it is better.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

What drove me crazy was the guy shot the antelope on i think this weeks show and shot his almost in the ass. Then when they recover him they are pointing and laughing at the front shoulder like that is the entrance. They never once showed the hole. And would not roll him up to show anything.
This reminds me of the cover up back when aaron and mike worked at the best of the west and mike was the hunter. It was a bull laying down in the burn, next thing you know the bull is up and getting shot. But the bull plain as day was already hit and hit bad. Why cant we see what really happened, or dont show it at all.

I know but then there is extreme outer limits where on this weeks show Bob beck shot a aoudad ram in front of the hip at like 200 yards at the most.

Personally I am tired of watching all the reruns and crappy shots. If it is not perfect they should either own up to it or I flat would not use the footage at all. I do think mike davidson made a good shot on the ram this week though.