Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best of the West!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Best of the West!

I have been a fan for years and always enjoyed the show, but this year sucks!

Long range TIPS mean tips to long range hunters and not for newbies! YES, we know we need a good barrel so that is NOT a tip!

I watched a Mulie hunt on the Birch ranch tonight. They CLEARLY adjusted the scope PAST 400 yards but NEVER showed the actual distance on screen the way they used to.
Then standing over the kill they said it was 368 yards WTF!

How can you trust a sponsor that shows something clearly but the distance proves them wrong...is this just another "fish story"?

Very disappointing!
Cooper needs to make a good show or say goodbye!
I am a bit surprised that John Porter still remains affiliated with the show, I thought better of him.

edge.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best of the West!

I posted this earlier in another thread but I can't stand how they always show them working the bolt for a follow up shot and nothing comes out of the chamber. It seriously annoys the hell out of me and I won't even watch it anymore.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

I dont bother with Best of the West. Long range pursuit is the only hunting show I watch. Mike and Aaron dont dumb everything down to a rediculous level. I dont necissarilly agree with their systems but I enjoy there passion and there ethic.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
I dont bother with Best of the West. Long range pursuit is the only hunting show I watch. Mike and Aaron dont dumb everything down to a rediculous level. I dont necissarilly agree with their systems but I enjoy there passion and there ethic.
I 'mostly' tend to agree with you. I do like John Porter tho and he seems like a straight shooter( no pun intended), so I DVR both shows and watch as I can. I think Aaron Davidson is a good engineer. Certainly when the Davidsons left BOTW the show was bound to change but them two shwos are still far and away better than 90% of the rest of the shows that seem to be produced by knobbs fresh out of a bowling alley. 'nuff said.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Can't argue with anyone on this thread.

My two top complaints are:

The dumbing down, and this goes for most shows. We need some "2000 level" shows, for the not so green guys. Info is king; all shows should provide as much info and technical data as possible. I want to know the load, the time of day, the wind, the temp., location.... every damn thing they can put on the screen.

And the poor editing. Make sure the hunt is fully filmed, and play it back as it happened, not pieced together. I understand editing, but there is no reason for mismatched clips like the aforementioned.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

I know a couple of guys personaly who have been on Best of the West in the past. Ive also talked to guides who helped, IIRC, Arron on a AZ bear hunt. I won't get into specifics, but I don't watch the show anymore. I would like to meet John Porter though. He seems like a stand up guy, his shows on there are usually good. Back country elk hunts on horse back. A few years ago, one of the last ones I watched, John was on there shooting baloons around 1K. It was a shooting tips part. He was playing with the wind, not the wind playing with him. It was blowin somethin feirce and he was making hit after hit at distance. I was pretty impressed.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

I have watched 2 episodes of the new season and they are actually giving some better tips, I do like long range pursuit because the Davidsons do give real world long range tips, Im kinda biased on the best of the west though cause Im one of their direct dealers for the Huskema, I do agree though, I wish they wood put up more info of the shot. caliber, wind conditions Ect,