Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best way to ship wild game meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Bronze Member

Best way to ship wild game meat?

I want to send some meat up to my family on the east coast and I'm wondering what kind of shipping time I need to pay for? Anyone here have experience sending meat through the mail?

I'm planning to use a styrofoam cooler and put dry ice above and below the meat with a thin layer of crumpled newspaper insulating the meat from the dry ice- to keep the meat from getting freezer-burned. All the meat is vacuum-sealed. I'm going to tape the cooler shut so that it'll be air-tight, to slow down the evaporation of the dry ice. But I'm not sure, exactly, how long it'll stay frozen this way.

I KNOW that 2nd Day Air UPS will work fine, but I'm wondering if 3-Day Air would work- will it stay frozen? Because the 3-day air shipping is 1/2 the price of 2-day air.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Nick
Old 02-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best way to ship wild game meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTXBowhunter View Post
I want to send some meat up to my family on the east coast and I'm wondering what kind of shipping time I need to pay for? Anyone here have experience sending meat through the mail?

I'm planning to use a styrofoam cooler and put dry ice above and below the meat with a thin layer of crumpled newspaper insulating the meat from the dry ice- to keep the meat from getting freezer-burned. All the meat is vacuum-sealed. I'm going to tape the cooler shut so that it'll be air-tight, to slow down the evaporation of the dry ice. But I'm not sure, exactly, how long it'll stay frozen this way.

I KNOW that 2nd Day Air UPS will work fine, but I'm wondering if 3-Day Air would work- will it stay frozen? Because the 3-day air shipping is 1/2 the price of 2-day air.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Nick
It all depends on how much meat and how far you are going to ship it. my family ships meat all across the us useing insalated boxes and dry ice useualy a block and half of ice on top of the meat stuffed with newspaper will get you from Kansas to new york on second day air! hope this helps btw you don't put dryice on the bottom of the meat just lots of newspaper and a block or twon top. Good luck
Old 02-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

What about Southwest Airlines Cargo Service?

Southwest Airlines - Cargo Rates and Services
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

You might want to check with the shipper about using dry ice. 15 years ago or so i was painting Seely Masker's gun stocks for him. I live in Md. and he was in NY. and he wanted some deer meat. I knew regular ground shipment was 2 days so i packed some regular ice in plastic and placed in styrofoam and shipped, of course it was winter. he said it was still frozen. I called ups and there was some glitch about shipping with dry ice but i cant remember if you could or not. Worth a phone call.
Mike
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
You might want to check with the shipper about using dry ice. 15 years ago or so i was painting Seely Masker's gun stocks for him. I live in Md. and he was in NY. and he wanted some deer meat. I knew regular ground shipment was 2 days so i packed some regular ice in plastic and placed in styrofoam and shipped, of course it was winter. he said it was still frozen. I called ups and there was some glitch about shipping with dry ice but i cant remember if you could or not. Worth a phone call.
Mike
We ship 15 or boxes of meat a day by Ups or Fedex cant remember witch!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabelas90 View Post
We ship 15 or boxes of meat a day by Ups or Fedex cant remember witch!
Is there any restrictions on dry ice?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
Is there any restrictions on dry ice?
Not that I can rember its been about a year since I worked for my family but they still use dry ice and they use Ups or Fedex it might be someting worth looking up on there websight!! hope that helps