Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The BEST way to kill Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The BEST way to kill Elk

I'd shoot the elk anywhere other than where the OP would. I'd check with bigngreen. He could teach the OP many things he's never even considered. Including some respect of other hunters and Forum members.

Last edited by phorwath; 11-06-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Um, reintroduce wolves. From what ive read & people ive spoke to out west. Just saying.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Wildrose,

I'll tape that pic w/your X on my butt stock and go from there.

Phorwath: I'm ppoor w/acronyms - I'd shoot the elk anywhere other than where the OP would.

What the squat does OP stand for?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Phorwath: I'm ppoor w/acronyms - I'd shoot the elk anywhere other than where the OP would.

What the squat does OP stand for?
Roy,
OP means Original Poster. In this Thread - Nonya. The member that started this Thread. My prior post was purposely impolite.

Last edited by phorwath; 11-06-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

http://erudition.mohit.tripod.com/_Influence_People.pdf
Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 PM

I use mtbohunter as my tag here because I do love bowhunting but I have killed about 20 elk with a rifle and I havent read where anyone scolded the secondary article writer about his talking about shooting an elk in the head.

Wrong Answer!

If you don't have more respect for the game you hunt then that then I can shamelessly say, Shame On You! Never shoot an animal in the head except to dispatch a wounded animal. The number one reason why not to is I have watched animals starve to death without a jaw. Dont do it!

Onward from there. I shoot for 1" behind the shoulder, center mass 338wm 225 Barns. I think wasting meat is disrespectful as well. I will say though, I shot one bull in the lungs and again in the lungs and again.. 7 shots in the lungs.
Wrong bullet.
Super X200gr Never again. Switched to Barns and have not fallowed one more then 100yd since. This years opening morning bull on a 5 mile in backpack hunt went straight down. Two days later he was home in the beer fridge. Today I cut the steaks and ground the burger! Montana at its best!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
The BEST way to kill Elk-1023111805.jpg  

Last edited by mtbohunter; 11-07-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbohunter View Post
I use mtbohunter as my tag here because I do love bowhunting but I have killed about 20 elk with a rifle and I havent read where anyone scolded the secondary article righter about his talking about shooting an elk in the head.

Wrong Answer!

If you don't have more respect for the game you hunt then that then I can shamelessly say, Shame On You! Never shoot an animal in the head except to dispatch a wounded animal. The number one reason why not to is I have watched animals starve to death without a jaw. Dont do it!

Onward from there. I shoot for 1" behind the shoulder, center mass 338wm 225 Barns. I think wasting meat is disrespectful as well. I will say though, I shot one bull in the lungs and again in the lungs and again.. 7 shots in the lungs.
Wrong bullet.
Super X200gr Never again. Switched to Barns and have not fallowed one more then 100yd since. This years opening morning bull on a 5 mile in backpack hunt went straight down. Two days later he was home in the beer fridge. Today I cut the steaks and ground the burger! Montana at its best!
Since he learned that lesson long ago and it's been well covered here numerous times no need to beat a dead mule.

Very nice rack, start your own thread and tell us more. Congrats!