Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

best stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

best stock

I love the Mcmillan A5's and I just got a gun finished with one. I just have to wonder as much as I like them is there anything close that isn't as much $$$$. I mean with all the options and by the time I have the G.S. bed the gun I have $1250-1350 in the complete stock with the work. I have never found a stock I like as much though. is there something out there I need to look at?? I have shot the Bell and Carlsons and they are very nice just not exactly what I want. and the Manners are really really close but they are almost the same price so I have stayed with the Mcmillan.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: best stock

There are less expensive alternatives, but why bother? buy once, cry once.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
There are less expensive alternatives, but why bother? buy once, cry once.
true BUT if he found a cheaper alternative that works, he may be able to have 3 different rifles for the cost of 2 with the mcmillan set-ups.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member

I have gone through the same decision process several times and usually end up in the same place. I currently have three Macmillan's, an A5, A1, and a Sporter on three of my rifles. I have always bought the drop ins with pillars. All were perfect in every way with little, or no additional fitting or bedding needed. I also have HS Precision, B/C, and a few others which certainly work but they all seem to be missing something, in balance, feel, finish, etc. I have never owned a Manners, but have heard good things about them. My Milspec Rem 700 in 300WM came with an HS Precicision that was a decent stock that worked well after some suppplemental bedding, but ended up ordering a Macmillan A3. My 308's that I use for competition have always had A5's on them and I wanted the same fit and feel on my LR rig without the extra's provided with the A5. The A3's dimensions fortunately match the settings I use on my A5. They are pricey, but hold their value and sell fast should you ever want to sell one.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Thats what i though. When you finish a gun up with one it just has a great feel.