Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best short action cartridge for long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best short action cartridge for long range

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
OK. Then why not recommend a .408 Cheytac or a .50 BMG? Hell, why stop there? The ideal rifle for hunting Coues Whitetail at 400 yards and less is a 155mm artillery piece or a 120 mm main gun mounted in an Abrams for you recoil sensitive sissies.

No such thing as needlessly powerful... That is absurd!

No, telling someone what they do or do not need is absurd. Modern sporting arms & their respective chamberings are an astute example of want vs need. If a hunter wants to use a 7mm or 300wsm to shoot a diminutive coues deer, when a .243 will fit the bill, then have at it. I care not, I am far more supportive of the capable hunter using a little more than they need vs a reverse scenario.
There is not such thing as too dead.

I may direct your attention to the Antelope Hunting sub-forum where one of our peers harvested one of the teeny-weeny critters with a .375 RUM. Did it do it's job? yes. Did it waste any part of the animal? no. Was it overkill? No, it did exactly what it was supposed to, cleanly & humanely harvest an animal.

If you have a different opinion, that's fine. Address the different with factual data, actual results and/or useful opinion.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
No such thing as needlessly powerful... That is absurd!
*facepalm*

Please tell me how you can kill something TOO dead. I admire him for wanting to drop them where they stand. NO pain to the animal and no chase for the hunter. I hunt coyotes with a .30cal too because I dont use the pelt, but I do have respect enough not to shoot them with a .22lr and watch them roll around for 5 minutes before they run off and slowly bleed out. With my .30 cal.. He never blinks before he hits the ground. If its not overkill... its underachievement!

Btw.. the reason I didnt recommend a .50bmg is that he wanted a short action...
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Bronze Member

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I should add that these Deer are not the little Coues. These are South Texas brush Whitetails. The last one we field dressed went 180#. The big issue in South Texas is the thick brush. If you hit one and he gets out of the sendero, he can be very hard to track. Most of the brush you can't walk through. I have hunted and taken over 100 deer with my 25-06. What I am interested in is a caliber that can match its flat shooting, with a heavier bullet in the 120-130 range. The old 7mm mag is just about ideal, just need that performance in a short action. A 130-140g at 3300fps is my target. Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 AM

I know the deer you mean. Though, I always used my .270win down near Carrizo Springs, I have a .300 WSM. It's a great, flat shooting rifle with similar ballistics as a 300win mag in a compact little platform. It shoots Black Hills 175 SMK's really well and put an easy one hitter quitter shot on a Colorado bull elk this year with a federal loaded 180gr Barnes TSX at 420yds. It can lob a 150gr projectile around the 3250fps mark.

Since I got my .338 Lapua Mag up and running, I've been looking to get my 300wsm rebarreled (already bought the barrel ) for a .308. If you're interested in trading your 308 action (and maybe some cash or other stuff) for my barreled factory Remington cerakoted, threaded muzzle braked .300wsm action, shoot me a PM. Since we are in Texas and no goofy liberal gun laws have been inplaced, no FFL's need be involved... just a thought.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrabb View Post
The old 7mm mag is just about ideal, just need that performance in a short action. A 130-140g at 3300fps is my target. Thanks
....a 7wsm? lol

Oh and the trade offer above sounds right up your ally!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

The only thing I'll say is, don't build a WSM in a SA. You can do it and get away with it, but it's a waste of a good cartridge.

6.5 CM sounds like a good choice to me.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The only thing I'll say is, don't build a WSM in a SA. You can do it and get away with it, but it's a waste of a good cartridge.

6.5 CM sounds like a good choice to me.

A .300 wsm in a long action... i believe thats called a .300 win mag

--Kirby Allen