Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best short action cartridge for long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Bronze Member

Best short action cartridge for long range

Guys,
I looking to build a short action rifle to use specificly for whitetail deer out to 400 yds. I know thats not real long range, but more than normal shots. I want to use a Remingtion 700 short action. We hunt in South Texas with long Senderos. I would like to shoot bullets in the 120g range. What caliber do you suggest? Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Re: Best short action cartridge for long range

6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, 243, etc. Almost any cartridge will be capable of taking down white tails at 400 yards.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Me, I don't hunt white tails but I'd go with 7-08 because I've wanted one for a while and it would be great within the range you specified. The 260rem should also do the job for you. Heck, if you really want to play, a 22-250 that can handle heavy bullets would do (you'd have to have a custom 1-7 or 8" twist barrel).
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Whitetails at 400yds & in with a remmy short action & 120-ish bullet weight

Run any of the increasingly popular 6.5's: 6.5Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, 260 Remington etc. Load up some 130grain pills & hammer those buggers.

Barrel life will be better than 2k in most cases & ballistics are dern good. OR..... you can go completely overkill like I usually do & chamber for some sort of short magnum WSM or SAUM... pick your caliber

------------------------------------------->>>>

Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

The existing 700 action I have was off a .308. Wouldn't the bolt face be wrong for the short Mags?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Yessir, bolt fact & mag rails would have to be modified which is no big deal for a
'smith that knows what he's doing.

I bought a 700 S/A in .308 once That lasted about 40 rounds & it was off to the 'smith... she's a 7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot now

t

Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

All the following suggestions are given with the intent of using a 26" (or longer) barrel.
The 243 AI with 1-8 twist, .257 Roberts AI (kind of a "middle" action). The .260 Rem (and AI vers) with a 1-8 twist. I would say the 6.5-284Norma, but I think it fits better in a LA too. I have that round in a LA Savage and it is unbelievably accurate and final.
If you're not against opening the bolt face and feed rails then I'd say look at the .270WSM. This is a little hot rod and a show stopper for whitetails. With handloads, this is 7Mag performance.
On this same line, the 7WSM and 300WSM would fit the bill also.
There's a list from .24 - .30 cal. I could be happy (for a short time) with any of these. Good luck and let us know which route you go. JohnnyK.