Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best scope for long range hunting under $2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best scope for long range hunting under $2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kiser View Post
Im fine with relearning. Its no big deal. Ive shot mil dots a long time. My scope is set up for milliradians. I like the MOAR reticle too. Should i change my scope or just the reticle in yalls opinion
Lots of options for you in that case. You have one of the very best scopes around for the LR game. The question may be what will end up being cheaper, selling your existing scope and just buying a new one like you want or just having NF do a reticle change.

I personally wouldn't get the mildot either way. If you are going to go MIL get one of their newer reticles. They are much better and provide more accuracy, finer points of aim, and more features. They have MOA and MIL in both SFP and FFP so you have a bunch of options to choose from.

HTH,

Scot E.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

Somebody mentioned ocular focus. This is something overlooked by many. I suggest you play with that before changing anything. This is NOT the side focus. It is the ocular lens that you look through. Some people don't realize you can focus this. Turn it until your reticle looks crisp.
Also NightForce does not currently offer the MOAR in FFP but they are in the process of designing a new scope that will offer it. It will be a 5-25 power.
I would not put a mil reticle in there if your turrets are MOA. It is much better to keep them the same, MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.

Try the ocular focus.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

i adjusted the occular focus a bit and it seems better. ill just play with it some to see what happens.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Somebody mentioned ocular focus. This is something overlooked by many. I suggest you play with that before changing anything. This is NOT the side focus. It is the ocular lens that you look through. Some people don't realize you can focus this. Turn it until your reticle looks crisp.
Also NightForce does not currently offer the MOAR in FFP but they are in the process of designing a new scope that will offer it. It will be a 5-25 power.
I would not put a mil reticle in there if your turrets are MOA. It is much better to keep them the same, MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.

Try the ocular focus.
You are right. I forgot about that. The FFP counterpart is the NPRF1 and it has a thicker reticle as well.

Scot E.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

I have just skimmed through these posts a bit, so forgive me if I missed someing here. But from the initial read here, have you thought about a NF 3.5-15 model in the MOAR Reticle??? This will give you a ton of light transmission with a Reticle that stands out on game at most any range. Plus all the advantages of a true long range capable scope.