Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best scope for lightweight rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Bronze Member

Best scope for lightweight rifle?

Building a lightweight mountain rifle and need to pick a scope, weight vs quality of glass?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Best scope for lightweight rifle?

It's hard not to recommend something that works extremely well. I recently picked up a used Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14x50 for the same reason. I then sent it to Leupold for a functions check and to have their new MOA reticle installed. What I got back was a fantastic combination of lightweight functionality for a long range mountain rifle. I've been really impressed with Leupold's extended twilight lens coatings to enhance optical color and clarity. It's definitely a step up in optical performance for Leupold. Is it the best? Not sure, but it works very well for my needs.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Gold Member

I mostly own Nightforce and Sightron scopes........but my lightweight mountain rifle wears a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

The Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14 is good, but the Swaro Z5 3.5x18 is lighter and has much bettert glass (but it costs more than the Leupold, too).
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

Obviously budget is going to play a role... but for a reasonable amount of money I would agree that a VX3 with the new MOA reticle would be a pretty solid choice. The newer VX6 in either 3-18 or 4-24 is a bit more expensive but gets more magnification without too much more added weight. I really like my nightforce, but they are very heavy and are really not an option for somebody targeting a very light-weight setup.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

I don't have tons of experience in the lightweight scope department, but the Burris FFII I own is good at 13oz, good optics and the ballistic plex is great for hunting. It sits on my 270 and is very capable for any shot I'd want to take with it. The Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 looks interesting and still light if you want higher magnification. I have not been able to look through one yet.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

I am not a Nikon fan but my lightweight gun wears a
6-18x40 buckmasters that I picked up somewhere for $300. The clicks are
Very possitive And repeatable. So far I have had great success with it and am pleased. My only beef with it is that its a 1/8" click scope. It does let me dial a little more precise but I run out of dial before 1000 yards. It would be better on a 15 or 20 Moa rail. Mine sits on a 0 Moa rail.