Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best rest when developing a load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best rest when developing a load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2506 View Post
when working up a load i like to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. Once i find the loads i like then i practice with those loads in field conditions. If I know the capabilities of the gun load combo then I know any error is my fault.
That would tend to make sense..at least in my mind....

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

I like using a bench with a soft shooting rest or sand bags w/ a rear bag. This is the most stable platform in my opinion for testing loads.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I disagree. It's irrelevant how well it shoots strapped to a sled if you can't hit the target with it under actual field conditions.
Interesting point of view.

When I test for a rifles accuracy I use the most consistant method available at the distance
required ( 100 to 1000 Yards) depending the intended use.

This minimizes the human factor.(No two people will shoot the same) and once this accuracy
is determined it's up to the shooter to do his part.

There is no smith in the world that guarantees that the shooter can shoot 1/2 MOA, The rifle will
but not everyone can shoot 1/2 moa.

Most sportsman will admit that there custom rifle will out shoot them and that it gives them
confidence knowing that, And if they do there part it will be a good shot.

There are so many things that will effect the accuracy of a rifle and establishing a benchmark
for the rifle tells you when something has effected it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
so everyones just going to pretend all rifles should shoot well from a bipod?

Not pretending here. My rifles do shoot good from a bipod once I learned how to use them. Last 7mm-300 I did a few weeks ago was a consistant shoter under 1" at 300 yards while tuning seating depth. Nothing under the bipod, like a matt or carpet and in the dirt. I take my left hand and scratch the feet of the pod in solid. Nothing under the back bag either except soild dirt or a flat rock if I need a bit more elevation. Want to see your groups open up ? Then put a soft squishy bag, foam pad, or soft pack under the rear. That stock needs to stay put durring recoil.

I do refer to field conditions as "prone on a rear bag" everything I engage past 300 yards will be in this position.

Thats just what I do. It works for me and the people I take out to hunt.

Your milage may vary

Jeff -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

My 338 shoots awesome from a bipod, and any rifle with a fully floated barrel and a stiff enough stock forend to resist flexing and touching the barrel when it whips. but noteveryone shoots a custom rifle with a nice stiff stock. some guys are doing this with plastic SPS stocks and I guarantee not every remington sps that shoots good will shoot good from a bipod. Some rifles like a tiny bit of up pressure from the stock... well put it on a bipod and its a lot different pressure being applied to the barrel. My brother in law has a stainless BDL 300 Ultra and its not floated at all it shoots 1/2-3/4" amazingly from a bag or a pack , put it on a bipod and it becomes a 3" rifle

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

I see your point Mike. I tend to think in terms of a long range rig as that is all I hunt with and this is LRH. I have a hard time imagining anyone shooting a rifle with a stock that bad, but I am sure some do. Don't make much sense to me cuz a B&C stock can be had for a few hunders bucks or even an HS. I hunt with good rifles and equipment , but I am on a buget too. I choose to spend what I can on good rifles , scopes and a good RF. Been wishin for a 4 wheeler for 3 years now, but still walkin. Guess it is just a priority thing.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2506 View Post
when working up a load i like to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. Once i find the loads i like then i practice with those loads in field conditions. If I know the capabilities of the gun load combo then I know any error is my fault.

So what do you use for a rifle support while your working up said load?? I think THAT was the question!