Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best rest when developing a load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best rest when developing a load?

You need to find out if that load will actually shoot first. You might be throwing out a perfectly good load because it doesn't shoot from a bipod and you do t know it.once you know the rifle is capable Then try it from a bipod or whatever position you wish.first things first though and limit the variables as uch as possible and stay consistent

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
You need to find out if that load will actually shoot first. You might be throwing out a perfectly good load because it doesn't shoot from a bipod and you do t know it.once you know the rifle is capable Then try it from a bipod or whatever position you wish.first things first though and limit the variables as uch as possible and stay consistent
I disagree. It's irrelevant how well it shoots strapped to a sled if you can't hit the target with it under actual field conditions.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

I understand and agree that I need to shoot it under field conditions however, this exercise that i'm doing now is for load development purposes only, just trying to get tighest groups with highest velocity. Thank's for the info fellas, Brad
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I disagree. It's irrelevant how well it shoots strapped to a sled if you can't hit the target with it under actual field conditions.
I dont shoot using a sled, however the point I am trying to make is if you are working up a load for a rifle you dont know if that rifle shoots well off of a bipod or not. Because some rifles will shoot great until you put them on a bipod, they just do not react well to all that weight being out on the end of the forearm, This isnt as much of a concern if your barrel is fully floated but if its not then it will change everything usually. So you need to find a load that you know the rifle is capable of shooting accuratley and consistently then once ythe rifle has proven itself go to the range and put it to the test with a bipod or sticks or whatever you like to shoot from.
Otherwise when your load doesnt shoot right you have no idea why, but you blame it on the load... in reality it could be your barrel bouncing off the forend of your stock....so NO it is not irrelevant

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

I do all load work up and testing from a field position. On a bipod scratched solidly into the dirt and a good solid bag under the rear. But also I don't waste much ammo at 100 yards. Take your loads to 200 or 300 to fine tune to 1/2 moa then take them on out.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

so everyones just going to pretend all rifles should shoot well from a bipod?
BTW "Field Position" does not mean bipod for everyone, I shoot from a pack when hunting most of the time.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

when working up a load i like to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. Once i find the loads i like then i practice with those loads in field conditions. If I know the capabilities of the gun load combo then I know any error is my fault.