Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best rest when developing a load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Silver Member

Best rest when developing a load?

Hey fellas, Worked on a 25-06 load this weekend using berger bullets and going from 51 gr to 54 gr of H4831 powder one grain at a time. they all shot less than 1 moa with most in the .3 to .6 moa area. that evening I made up 6 loads of 54gr and 6 loads of 51gr to test agin as the 51 gr shot best that morning and I just wanted to see if I could duplicate. However That evening all 4 groups( both 51 and 54 gr) were outside of 1 moa. (1 to 1.2 moa) The only diffrence is that in the morning I was using a swivel type rifle rest and in the evening I used a bipod because it was steadier. All shots were taken at rifle range with no wind and off wooden shooting tables. All I guess is that the recoil of the rifle on the bipod on wooden table is what did it. Is this common and what kind of rest do yal recommend? Thank's, Brad
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best rest when developing a load?

I use a bipod with sandbag at the butt....and at other times a front and rear sandbag(s).

The only important thing is that the rifle be "restrained" i.e."sandbagged" to the point where it cant move at all.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Silver Member

That evening I had it on a bipod with my coat rolled up under the butt. It was very stable while aming however It would plumb come off the table when fired. Brad
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

When ever I shoot a bi-pod off of a solid (wood, concrete, or a rock) surface I ALWAYS put something like a piece of carpet or a shirt between the bi-pod and the hard surface, it seems to dampen that initial bounce as the gun is being fired.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBrad View Post
Hey fellas, Worked on a 25-06 load this weekend using berger bullets and going from 51 gr to 54 gr of H4831 powder one grain at a time. they all shot less than 1 moa with most in the .3 to .6 moa area. that evening I made up 6 loads of 54gr and 6 loads of 51gr to test agin as the 51 gr shot best that morning and I just wanted to see if I could duplicate. However That evening all 4 groups( both 51 and 54 gr) were outside of 1 moa. (1 to 1.2 moa) The only diffrence is that in the morning I was using a swivel type rifle rest and in the evening I used a bipod because it was steadier. All shots were taken at rifle range with no wind and off wooden shooting tables. All I guess is that the recoil of the rifle on the bipod on wooden table is what did it. Is this common and what kind of rest do yal recommend? Thank's, Brad
It may not be the best method for testing, but I use the Lead sled from Caldwell because it is
consistant shot to shot and rifle to rifle.

After the test are complete Then I verify the zero and group size with what ever type of rest I
will be using in the field. (Bipod,shooting bag,off hand Etc.)

Also by using the same system I can compare loads at a later date or a different batch of the
same powder.

For consistant results use consistant methods.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

not all rifles respond well to a bipod. sometimes if not floated enough. it will cause the barrel to touch the stock when it whips and that will cause inconsistency from shot to shot. You need to find a solid, comfortable and repeatable rest when doing load developent. I fint that a good bag under the recoil lug and a rear bag make for a great combination. once you have a good load that you have proven try shooting your rifle from a bipod and see how it shoots, it may or may not work out for you.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

The human needs to be part of the equation so I always shoot from a field expedient rest or bipod when evaluating ammo/loads.

It really doesn't matter if you can shoot .020MOA at one thousand with it strapped to some type of sled if you can't hit the target with it under actual field conditions.