Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best Powder Measure for Hodgon Extreme Powders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2003, 01:23 PM
SPONSOR

Best Powder Measure for Hodgon Extreme Powders?

Want to get a good powder measure for extruded powders.
What are the best in your opinion?

xphunter
Old 03-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Powder Measure for Hodgon Extreme Powders?

xphunter

Not trying to be funny, but in all seriousness the best measure is a scale. You really need to weigh every LR load.

I use a RCBS electronic measure and scale and a Harrels Culver measure. My rcbs will not calibrate now and has to go back to Pact. I had to do it by hand. took a set of lee dippers and electronic scales and old trickler and it was faster than the electronic dispensing system. but with my system I used to seat and check runout while the pan was loading.

For precision reloading the Harrels culver measure is the top of the line and it is about $225 but last measure you will have to buy. It's settings are 100% repeatable which is the real time saver with measures.

However all measures will "Cut" large grains and your weights will vary. Set for lower than desired load and trickle in exact amount.

BH

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]
Old 03-29-2003, 03:07 PM
SPONSOR

No offense taken.
Will the Harrel accurately measure H-4831SC without having to use a scale?
Where is the best place to purchase a Harrel?
I have an old AMT Autoscale which I have used for a number of years. Just looking for a quicker way of accurately measuring extruded powder if such a bird exists.
xphunter
Old 03-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

XP,

Do yourself a favor, pick up a 90058 Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Natchez has em for $19 on sale now. It WILL NOT cut extrusions, will not jam, and for 1/11th the money, will weigh as close or closer than anything else you can buy at any price. You simply will not beleive how nice they work and how simple they are. If you don't want to weigh powder, I'd say this is as close as you're gonna get to +- .1g

If you think it's just too cheap to be true, think about Lee selling collet dies for less money than any other Mfgr selling conventional ones. Lee's dies are round, straight, have real nice lock rings that adjust by hand and don't come loose, ...

I weigh powder, My brother does not. He shot 3 groups so far from his gun at 1K, 10, 11 & 12 Inches. All 3 wider than high, in wind. After seeing My measure, He said, "As long as I have to trickle anyhow, I'm getting a cheap measure." Turns out, with a cheap measure, he doesn't trickle, I did.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

PS,

We both shoot SCut.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

BH,

How does the Culver achieve more consistancy than say, my Redding? I've heard they're nice but the Redding does all I ever need, slices long grain powder with ease, as it's super sharp, it is within a couple to a few tenths every time too. I trickle, or my RCBS dispensor does I should say, so I dump another charge while it's doing the trickling on the first, by then it's already done and so on. I've never seen a dispensor that has come close to .1 tenth accuracy "consistantly", and that's the key, so I weigh all mine too. I've owned RCBS, Lee's Perfect POS, IMHO, and now the Redding, and the Redding is the sharpest for cutting powder, most consistant and the Lee was the absolute worst for stick powder or any for that matter, you get what you pay for as in most cases. No disrespect 4mesh, I just disagree it's the best, I used one for a long time. Very frustrating to use with stick powder of any kind because of it's design... adjusted correctly they can work OK with ball powder, that's it though.

I know I don't need a Culver, as I'll always weigh each one, but have always been interested in why they are the "cream of the crop" so to speak? Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 07:13 AM
Silver Member

Let me second the recommendation of the Lee El cheapo. My culver would jam up and cut grains of RL25. The Lee with its flapper design throws it without doing this, right into my pan where I can trickle the last 1/2 grain quickly. Being that is an all plastic construction, a wipedown with a drier sheet will negate the static problem.