Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best place to hunt for Mule Deer & Antelope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2005, 09:30 AM

Re: Best place to hunt for Mule Deer & Antelope?

Guys,
Thanks for your replies.... Apparently I need to do some speed reading on both species, and probably plan 2 separate hunts. Any more advice is appreciated...
Old 03-01-2005, 09:45 AM
SPONSOR

One last thing. If you are going to apply for Montana this year the due date for deer applications is only a few weeks away. I believe the deadline is right around March 15th. Antelope aren't due until June 1st and the applications for them aren't out yet as far as I know. Yes, two seperate trips would up your odds of taking mature animals. Granted a guy could get lucky and kill good bucks in less than prime hunting conditions, but why do that when you can stack the odds in your favor.

Here is some eye candy for you from this year's hunts. I pretty much kill bucks like this every year. Some folks may kill bigger, but most folks I know would be happy with these on a yearly basis.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:54 AM

Big Sky,
Awesome pics! I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be tickled with some of those!!!! Good Shootin'
Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 AM

I went to Wyoming for a Mulie & Antelope combo hunt last year. Had a great time. Got a terrific Antelope and Deer.
Went the first week of October. We were just outside of Casper with Cole Creek Outfitters. Great Antelope and a good mulie will be around the 150 class. My gunsmith lives there and he turned me on to this place. It was my first western hunt so a 150 deer seemed great to me....and if you've never shot a mulie it is a nice head. He told me of another place in the area called Q Creek. It was $1000 more for the mulie hunt but he said the heads are real nice, about 170's. Next hunt I probable go with the Q since I've already got one under my belt.

As far as the Antelope go, 80% of the Antelope population live within a 300 mile radius of Casper, WY. Plenty of trophy animals. We drove from Denver to Casper and saw tons of Antelope along the way. (The 300 mile radius is what the guide and others in the area told me, based on what I've seen I have NO reason to doubt them.)

If you've never been out west hunting be careful....you won't want to come home!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

I'll be in WY for a week in September, up near Jackson, but I think that's too soon for gun season out there.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Big Sky,

Don't hold out I want to here the particulars on those kills. Very curious About those 3 lopes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 05:31 AM

I agree. Anybody that has pics that good, has got to have a great story to go with em!