Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best place to hunt long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 AM

Best place to hunt long range?

I am a former marine who has never gotten into the hunting side of guns until now. I was a scout sniper in my day ( less than a year ago ) and still love the thrill of long rang shooting and would love to take it to a new level. I was doing some looking around and am having a hard time finding out where the best places to go are for long range hunting. up to 800 yards or more. I dont care what it is i hunt, its the challenge of the shot that i love. I also like long trips maybe 2 3 weeks out into the middle of nowhere. If anyone has any places in mind. i would love your assistance. (dont limit yourself to the us.) thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Re: Best place to hunt long range?

nevada...
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Gold Member

I believe it was the famous newspaper editor, Horace Greeley, who said it best: "Go west, young man, go west".

BTW: Thank you for your service to this great country. Arizona has some great hunting, but it is often tough to get drawn. Colorado still has over-the-counter elk permits. Might be a good place to start.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:26 AM
Gold Member

I dont know the rules and regulations or the feasability of it but from whay I understand New Zealand has no predators and no limits on game animals with lots of open land and hilly mountain areas. I really want to try this place. So this is my number one choice
Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

First and foremost, thank you for your service and dedication to our country. Secondly, welcome to LRH. New Zealand is a great idea, I know you probably want to stay away from the place, but Dall Sheep in the Indies would afford a challenging shot, and Canada. Lot of flat tundra and Caribou to take long shots. Then if you want to stay state side, Texas and the Southeast could use a farol hog depopulating.

Again welcome and thank you,

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Head west and hunt some coyotes.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Liltank and pyroducksx3, thank you for your great responses. I will be looking into these asap. And i dont care where i go really, its the thrill of the shot that i love. I also have been trying to find a reliable range finder that can reach out to 2000 yards.
I came ac-crossed Newcon Rangefinder 7x25 2500 Yard Speed RS-232 Inclinometer Monoculars. But had read some bad reviews on newcon. Didnt know if anyone had any experience?
Thank you.
Please feel free to continue to give me good hunting ground ideas.