close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

best method for measuring a 3 shot group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24
best method for measuring a 3 shot group

I was told to use calipers and measure from outside to outside of farthest holes and then subtract the caliber. In my case it is a 308. Using this method I shot a .26 with HSM Berger 168 gr and .27 with Federal premium Sierra Gameking 165 gr and a 5 shot .70 with VLD. All at 100 yards. Is this method correct?
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Posts: 868
    Re: best method for measuring a 3 shot group

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walserjack View Post
    I was told to use calipers and measure from outside to outside of farthest holes and then subtract the caliber. In my case it is a 308. Using this method I shot a .26 with HSM Berger 168 gr and .27 with Federal premium Sierra Gameking 165 gr and a 5 shot .70 with VLD. All at 100 yards. Is this method correct?
    Re-measure you just 3 set world records. Outside to outside - bullet diameter = group. .260, .270, and .700 sounds more like it though.
    mike
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Northern Utah
    Posts: 1,130
    Re: best method for measuring a 3 shot group

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
    Re-measure you just 3 set world records. Outside to outside - bullet diameter = group. .260, .270, and .700 sounds more like it though.
    mike
    If you read... he did say what his group sizes were. He doesn't need to add a "0" on the end. .26 is the same thing as .260 So yes Walserjack you are correct and excellent shooting on those 1/4 inch groups.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Posts: 868
    Re: best method for measuring a 3 shot group

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
    If you read... he did say what his group sizes were. He doesn't need to add a "0" on the end. .26 is the same thing as .260 So yes Walserjack you are correct and excellent shooting on those 1/4 inch groups.
    I think you should add the zero, i used to shoot br in the 90's and a .99 and under was a screamer at 100 yards
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Northern Utah
    Posts: 1,130
    Re: best method for measuring a 3 shot group

    The added zero would be more common because everything is measured in thousands of an inch (the third place after the decimal)

    However it's been long enough since you've shot bench rest that you've forgot how to read ha ha . A .99 inch group is only 10 thousands of an inch away from an inch and won't win any competitions at all. A .099 inch group is outstanding and that is what I'm assuming you meant to type. You're just missing where he's putting the decimal (and you placed it incorrectly in your other example). Mathematically he's 100 percent correct.

    I don't mean to start a fight or sound like a jerk, he could add the zero because it is more common, but he does not need to. And again... you missed a decimal place or maybe even two by saying that a .99 inch group was a screamer. .099 would be a screamer and .009 is basically one hole and I have no idea how they can measure a tear in paper to that kind of precision and accuracy.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Posts: 868
    Re: best method for measuring a 3 shot group

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
    The added zero would be more common because everything is measured in thousands of an inch (the third place after the decimal)

    However it's been long enough since you've shot bench rest that you've forgot how to read ha ha . A .99 inch group is only 10 thousands of an inch away from an inch and won't win any competitions at all. A .099 inch group is outstanding and that is what I'm assuming you meant to type. You're just missing where he's putting the decimal (and you placed it incorrectly in your other example). Mathematically he's 100 percent correct.

    I don't mean to start a fight or sound like a jerk, he could add the zero because it is more common, but he does not need to. And again... you missed a decimal place or maybe even two by saying that a .99 inch group was a screamer. .099 would be a screamer and .009 is basically one hole and I have no idea how they can measure a tear in paper to that kind of precision and accuracy.
    With you. Saying im old, LOL. I first seen the 26 and so on and though wow how did you measure that or i want that gun even though i dislike 308. I just always go 3 digit.
    mike
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 07-27-2011, 10:26 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,315
    Re: best method for measuring a 3 shot group

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walserjack View Post
    I was told to use calipers and measure from outside to outside of farthest holes and then subtract the caliber. In my case it is a 308. Using this method I shot a .26 with HSM Berger 168 gr and .27 with Federal premium Sierra Gameking 165 gr and a 5 shot .70 with VLD. All at 100 yards. Is this method correct?
    Take very, very, very good care of that rifle. You may never get another one that shoots this well.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: best method for measuring a 3 shot group
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Cold bore shot group vs Warm bore shot group Alan Griffith Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 24 06-07-2010 11:58 AM
    Th measuring of group size mtmuley Long Range Hunting & Shooting 8 03-24-2008 09:44 PM
    Measuring group size. msaucer The Basics, Starting Out 8 10-31-2004 09:36 PM
    Measuring "actual" group center point Brent The Basics, Starting Out 3 04-20-2003 02:54 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC