Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

best long range short action round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 AM

best long range short action round

Looking for ideas on a 1000 yard short action chambering. I am going to buy a remington 700 action soon so I need to know if I should get a magnum or standard bolt face. My hunting gun is a 7mm WSM so I'd like somthing different.

This will be a target gun for shooting steel gongs 99% of the time.

thanks for any advice.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Re: best long range short action round

Would also like it to be able to feed reliable from a DM system or just the stock BDL magazine.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

If all you are doing is banging steel, you could do well with a hot 6 or 6.5mm round and save yourself the recoil. You don't need the energy on target of a hunting application. The 243AI, 243 WSSM and 260 Remington come to mind. Typically I'd also recommend the 7mm and 300 WSMs, but you wanted something different than the 7mmWSM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
If all you are doing is banging steel, you could do well with a hot 6 or 6.5mm round and save yourself the recoil. You don't need the energy on target of a hunting application. The 243AI, 243 WSSM and 260 Remington come to mind. Typically I'd also recommend the 7mm and 300 WSMs, but you wanted something different than the 7mmWSM.
+1, and I will add 6.5x47 Lapua, 6mmx47Lapua, 22-250 and 220 Swift with a high twist barrel for shooting the heavy pills. Something you may want to consider is looking into some benchrest calibers such as the 6mmBR, 6PPC, 6XC, 6.5x284, and always the reliable .308 Winny. Another to consider is the old 7mm-08. You won't be breaking any land speed records, but you will have a good selection of bullets.

This is a very good source to do some searching for punching paper accurately. I know I have used this numerous times to make decisions for different calibers and shooting advice. It is a very informative sight in my opinion.

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

6BR,Dasher,6xc If your looking to bang steel take a look at Gary Elesio's tube gun stock. The benifits are pretty substantial for across the course type shooting. The 6br class of cartridges will help you with doping wind. They also don't eat barrels near as fast as the 243 sized case. Good brass and great high bc bullets Lastly no recoil to speak of with out a break
Old 12-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearfoot View Post
Looking for ideas on a 1000 yard short action chambering. I am going to buy a remington 700 action soon so I need to know if I should get a magnum or standard bolt face. My hunting gun is a 7mm WSM so I'd like somthing different.

This will be a target gun for shooting steel gongs 99% of the time.

thanks for any advice.
You already have the one that I would recomend so my next choice would be the 7/08 plenty
of cases (308 necked down to 7mm). Lots of good bullets and if you reload you already have
plenty. Lots of 1000 yard matches have been won with the 7/08 and recoil is mild.

My next choice after the 7/08 would be the 260 Rem (A 6.5 /308).

Both use the standard bolt face.

I have used the 7/08 very successfully beyond 500 yards on deer and 600+ on hogs.

These cartriges load very easy and accuracy is second to none.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Gold Member

+1 for the 6.5x47 Lapua. Great brass, great bullets, great accuracy, and low recoil.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM