Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

best long range hunting bipod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

best long range hunting bipod

I have a Sinclair fclass, and tactical and also a harris bipod.

any suggestions on the best out there ? The f class is just what i want but a little too big. and the other two are very good, but i wanna see if there is something better out there.
needs to be able to support 14-16 pound gun
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: best long range hunting bipod

I don't have any suggestions but i will chime in and say i'm looking for a decent Bipod that can reach a height of 3ft to clear long grass.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

I am currently looking at the Atlas Bipods! Atlas Bipods

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

I will look into the Atlas. any other suggestions. Money really isn't a big deal for this If you have a $4000+ rig and your setting up for a hunt whats a little more when it's such an important piece.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

I have this one
Harris S-25C Bipod Sling Swivel Stud Mount 13-1/2 to 27 Black

Like anything else gain something in one area loose in another, with this one it changes your prone position and if you like using a rear bag you'll probably and up making your own to keep weight down, and get the dimensions you want. Also in my experience if you need more lift than 27" your looking for a tree limb or fence post and using your sling to wrap around it.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

I've used Harris for years, they work just fine. I got my first Atlas this year, I like it a lot more than my Harris. It's derned expensive but very well made. My rig is 15.8lb ready to hunt & the Atlas does the Job very well. You won't be disappointed in the Atlas.

best long range hunting bipod-6-5-wsm-first-shots-3-.jpg

Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Got the Atlas this year myself after a number of years with two different sizes of Harris, notched leg, swivel pods. I have to say I like the Atlas alot better so far. I have gone ahead and purchased the leg extensions for it (a couple of oz. to pack with you and could make the difference between getting a shot or not) and the Atlas Spikes (single spike feet). The geometry and flex of this bipod allows it to be loaded, without the bipod shifting as the Harris often do. The spike feet help even more by really grabbing whatever they are put on. A chunk of change, no doubt, but as someone else said, if you've put several grand into a LRH rig already...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl