Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

If you plan on traveling all over hunting with it I would do the 338-378 wby. I have already been this route for over thirty years building and shooting every big 338 out there that will fit your action. You will not beat the 338-378 in velocity and that is important with wind drift/time of flight. If you are in Alaska on a big hunt as I was and the airlines loses your bullets you go to the local store and buy your 338-378 bullets. Again very important. You have the top velocity in a standard cartridge you can buy bullets for in a pinch and not waste a hunt. All the popular big 338's are very accurate. I am quite dissapointed to learn now that after all the exceptional trophies I have taken since the 70's without missing a shot and the hundreds of thousands of big game animals taken all over the world for 60 years with weatherby's that the brass is no good. Brass is what you make of it during your preparation stages. I have many great shooting rifles and they shoot great with winchester, remington and weatherby brass. I wouldn't let talk of brass keep me from shooting the top rifle out there.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Can someone post a link for the HATS bullets? Or PM me. I'd like to at least know what the heck you guys are talking about..
Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Can someone post a link for the HATS bullets? Or PM me. I'd like to at least know what the heck you guys are talking about..
Boman,

The maker is R.G. Henson and a board sponsor:

Follow this thread for the link to his site:

Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullets - New Sponsor

Take care.