Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best long range cartridge that fits in a Mark V

What velocity are you getting Boss?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2 View Post
drbobc:
What is the proper way to break in a new rifle?
Please advise
here is weatherbys official method

TWO BOX BARREL BREAK-IN

This barrel break-in takes two boxes of ammunition to complete. Start out by shooting one round at a time, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each round and allowing it to cool. This process should be followed for a total of ten rounds.

Then take the remaining 30 rounds and shoot three shot groups, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each group and allowing it to cool completely. Once ten, three shot groups have been fired the barrel is adequately broken in. At this point the rifle can be sighted in and used.

bob chronister
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I understand Bob, I love my 30-378 custom with a 210 Berger. It makes me smile at 1000 yards. But my Mark V custom in .338 Lapua has earned my respect. Watching a white tail doe tip over out past 1100 this year with a 7 mph full value wind sealed the deal for me. And the Mark V action feeds that Lapua round like it was ment to be. Better give Joe Starnes some credit for all this too. He put this rifle together and done it well.

Jeff
I have the utmost respect for the 338 calibers. I even like the old fashioned 340 weatherby. If I were going to shoot at extreme distances, I would clearly get one and use it. Probably would start with a 338-378 and then jump to 338 Lapua if necessary. By extreme distance I mean 1500 yards and up. Course scope at this range becomes the expense and not the rifle.

bob chronister
Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Lightvarmint

Tyler,

I have both of the ones that were mentioned the most. I have a Hall Express in .338 Lapua Improved and another one in .338/378 with the same length barrels.

In short, when shooting to the full potential of the gun, shooter and components, only 12 fps seperates the 338/378 from the 338 Lapua Improved.

Lapua brass lasts much longer and is more consistent for a longer period of time as far as neck tension is concerned. I have never ruined a Lapua case primer pocket..... But I have had some of the Weatherby cases get weak in primer retention.

If you were not interested in the improved version of the Lapua case then I would go with the Weaherby. But, if you were willing to do the improved version, the Lapua would get the nod from me. Again, I have both and even a 30/378 Weatherby.

We use the big Weatherby rounds to test the high BC HAT bullets. We use the Lapua Improved cases to hunt with.

Are you more concerned with the second and third shots or more focused on the first one?

Almost forgot, 100 Weatherby branded cases will run you almost $289.99 and the same number of 338 Lapua cases will run you $214 both from the same source. Basically, you can get (500) 338 Lapua cases for the same price that (375) .378 Weatherby cases will cost. Finally, the Lapua case is more efficient as it gets the same performance with less powder.

Also, I follow my own advice and I have right at (2000) 338 Lapua cases and maybe (120) 378 style cases counting up all three variations. When the 378 brass runs out, the barrels get rechambered into 338 Lapua variants.

LV
Old 01-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

If I was going custom I'd like to have the gun feed the rounds, although I would shoot single-shot 100% of the time except when hunting.

If I went Lapua I would go improved, to me it's not much of a hassle to shoot a normal load and then the next time have the benefit of a bit more velocity and no case trimming.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks drbobc:
Already shot 3 - three shot groups, cleaning after each group, through my new 243, but will know the right way next time.
Bear2
Old 01-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2 View Post
Thanks drbobc:
Already shot 3 - three shot groups, cleaning after each group, through my new 243, but will know the right way next time.
Bear2
There are extensive arguments about how to break in weapons for maximum accuracy. The one that I sent is directly from Weatherby and makes sense. You start with individual shots then to groups of three. I have decided to use their procedure but others are discussed all over the Internet and range from the sublime to the ridiculous to some that make sense. Guess I like Weatherbys method because I have a fair number of Weatherby rifles.

bob chronister